favorite choke and load

.44mag

I have a Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme using hevy13 #7 and it is deadly over 300 pellets in a 12 inch circle (did not have 10 inch targets) at 40 yards.

I am waiting on the stuff to come in and I am going to polish the barrel and re pattern it. I will show pics of before and after patterns when I get it done.

Brad C.

For some reason, and I can't say for sure why the 835's seem to like the Star Dot chokes .676 that used to be made by Highlander Sports in Alabama I believe was the state. The Star Dot had a very long parallel of right at 2.5", and that might be why they work so well shooting Hev-13 loads. Mine loves the 3.5" Hevi-13 #7 loads. I have a Indian Creek BDS .675 choke that I think is going to do very well in my 835 once the weather warms up in the 60's so I can test it in decent temp. I also have a Tru-Glo Strut Stopper Xtreme .670 that I am going to test. I really like Indian Creek chokes. I just have as you know 2 of them for my 870 and patterns are better than great for 10" and 20" numbers. Plus they are a local company who I like to support with my money. When you find a choke manufacturer that makes some killer chokes, you tend to talk about them since they perform well. But when that same choke company is a local from your area just makes it icing on the cake for me. I know that if I buy a choke from Mike or Stuart at Indian Creek that I have their personal guarantee that I'm going to be happy, or they will make sure that if I am not that they will work with me to find the right choke until I am tickled. They just make a great shooting choke that seems to shoot in most barrels.

bvoss

I use a JellyHead .690 with Nitro 4x5x7's = Bad to the bone

If I didnt use the nitros I would use the strait 7's by Heavi Shot.

Brad C.

Deer Elvis said:
Brad C. said:
For some reason, and I can't say for sure why the 835's seem to like the Star Dot chokes .676 that used to be made by Highlander Sports in Alabama I believe was the state. The Star Dot had a very long parallel of right at 2.5", and that might be why they work so well shooting Hev-13 loads. Mine loves the 3.5" Hevi-13 #7 loads.

Just found one that another guy was willing to sell on another forum (nice guy!). I picked up a Nikon 1.5x4.5x20 from fleabay and am going to get it mounted up on my old 835 this weekend.

I think I'm going to start with the H13 3" 6's. I know how badly that 835 kicks! Would there be benefit of 7's over 6's at a particular distance?

I think so. The 6's will no doubt kill them farther. But they won't pattern as dense. What good does the 6's do you if you can't put the shot in the vertebrae or skull? The 7's just give you a denser overall pattern. Go look in the Hevi 7's thread and look at some of the patterns I posted at 40yds with my guns. Those patterns are super dense for 10" and 20" numbers and that is what you want. I wouldn't recommend shooting a turkey at 60yds, but I can tell you the one I shot last spring at 45-50yds was tore to pieces. I for the life of me can't see say 10-15yds farther making those shot still not be able to kill one cleanly. But technically I will say to be on the safe side that 55yds with the Hevi-13 7 loads in either 3" 2oz or 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz ought to very easily still kill a bird out of the right gun and choke.

Bow Hunter

Think I'll try an indian creek choke tube on my 870 this year, been using a comp n choke for a couple years and it has preformed very well just ready for a change.

Latest posts