Favorite Caliber for 300 Yards and Under?

jlanecr500

There's no replacement for displacement. I've really taken a liking to the 338WM. For simplicity sake, a 30-06 with a 165 Accubond at 2950fps has a 300 yard point blank range under 8 inches. At 300 yards, the velocity is 2400 fps with 2100 ft/lb of energy.

Joe2Kool

I have a 7mm Mag and a 300 Win Mag, both Remington 700. The 7 Mag is a tack driver, and I'd have to say my favorite of the two. Much lighter and less recoil. If I had it to do over again, I'd have a 308 for eastern whitetails, and the 300 WM for western hunts on mule deer and elk. Why? Two reasons, the 7 and 300 are very similar ballistically. The 308 and 300 are different enough in their ballistics to have two different purposes.

And second, call me a wimp if you want to, but recoil from the 300 isn't pleasant for practicing. 308 is more than adequate for deer, especially under 300 yards.

east_tn_gk

Since no one has mentioned this: the good ole 30-06 is what I prefer. 300 mag is a bit much recoil for me. If you are going to shoot it a lot, like plinking or whatever, you may want to go 308 just for availability and cost. 7-08 & .260 are good options as well. For deer, you've got a lot of options, buy something you like.

1984dog

Im considering purchasing a new gun before the upcoming season and am curious what everyone prefers. A majority of my shots will under 300 yards. Let's hear your favorite
I am going to attempt to give you some good advice - without identifying any gun. Take it for what its worth as it is free.
1. I do not know anything about you, but recoil is an issue to consider. If you do not like teeth rattling and sore shoulders - stay away from those magnums as you will not need that kind of power for shots under 300 yards. If recoil is an issue, shoot what you can handle. I have seen many people take a high end magnum rifle and miss deer left and right because they are afraid of the recoil of the gun.
2. I like making clean ethical shots and most of the time dropping the deer with one well placed shot. You will need to be very comfortable hitting a 5" diameter circle at whatever distance you care to shoot. If it is 300 yards, you will need a gun that can shoot 1.67 MOA (that is a 1.67" group at 100 yards). A moderately priced rifle can do this with ease but stay away from the economy/budget guns as they will likely struggle to shoot better than 2 MOA with factory loads. The key point here is to stay within your limits and the guns ability.
3. For whitetail deer, you need a load that will produce at least 1,000 ft-lb of energy at whatever distance you are shooting. A well placed bullet will do the rest.
4. For ammo, you should be able to shoot factory loads. Select a bullet/caliber that is readily available at your local sporting goods store. The bullet needs to be able to penetrate - so avoid the ballistic tips. Ballistic tips are very accurate, but they explode once they hit and are known to have issues with pass through shots. Pass through shots are nice because they leave a blood trail.

As you will see, there are dozens of guns/loads that can meet the above criteria for a 300 yd shot. The most important thing is for you to be completely comfortable and confident with the gun. If you can accurately shoot a 5" group at whatever distance you desire, it does not matter that much what the caliber of the gun or make of gun you have.

Aside from the gun, I'd budget more money on the optics than the gun. The best deer hunting is during those low light conditions right after first light and just before dark. Good optics extends these times a bit. Keep in mind that you cannot hit what you cannot see. A good gun and a cheap scope equals lost opportunities. Be smart and get the most from your investment. If you are hunting bean fields and powerlines, get a scope in the 4-16X range. If you hunt mostly in the woods, go with a 2- 10X range scope as the low end (2X) enables finding the target easier and gathers better light.

Have fun and eat venison!

Latest posts