Favorite Caliber for 300 Yards and Under?

Double Drops

Im considering purchasing a new gun before the upcoming season and am curious what everyone prefers. A majority of my shots will under 300 yards. Let's hear your favorite

philsanchez76

Im considering purchasing a new gun before the upcoming season and am curious what everyone prefers. A majority of my shots will under 300 yards. Let's hear your favorite
Are you gonna reload for it? Or stick with factory? If factory, tough to beat the 308 cuz of cheap military fmj practice ammo and tons of different factory hunting loads available too. If you reload, 6.5 creedmore or 270 or 7mm maybe?

bigtex

Depends on where i'm sitting. If i'm up a tree i'll have my .260 or 7-08 Mdl 7 Remington. If i'm in one of my box blinds looking over a food plot i'll have either my .270 or 7mm Mag both Mdl 700's. Nowhere on my property would I ever get a 300 yard shot.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
It may not be a long shot by Western standards, but anything over 200 is a long shot where I live.

If you were trying to poke one past 200, I'd imagine what you use to steady your rifle, and trigger weight, matters more than the cartridge (assuming you're not shooting anything lighter than a .25-06 or a loopy-trajectoried levergun cartridge).

Latest posts