Best All Around Deer Caliber

deerfanatic

That's why you upgrade to the 257 wby mag lol.
The thing about the 25-06 is that the BC of the bullets is not great and you end up with a long action rifle only shooting 110-115 grain bullets.

It's flat for sure, but falls below 800 ft/lbs before it even gets to 500 yards.
If you want a long action with similar trajectories and a wider range of bullets, the .270 is just a much more versatile caliber (and a lot easier to find) for similar recoil

Bullit

2-Step Enabled
You can't beat the ole faithful 30/06 but the 270,7mm,300mag or 300 savage get er done also.

Jcalder

The thing about the 25-06 is that the BC of the bullets is not great and you end up with a long action rifle only shooting 110-115 grain bullets.

It's flat for sure, but falls below 800 ft/lbs before it even gets to 500 yards.

If you want a long action with similar trajectories and a wider range of bullets, the .270 is just a much more versatile caliber (and a lot easier to find) for similar recoil
Pushing a 110 eldx at a modest 3070 fps will get you to nearly 700 yards before you fall under 800ft/lbs. Doubt there's many deer getting shot at that range. I'd be more concerned with staying within the velocity of the intended velocity range for the bullet I was using.

rifle02

Maybe not the best all around, but it was one of my favorites. 7x57 mm (7 mm Mauser). Quite a few years ago a gunsmith recommended it to me as what I should use. I didn't listen and I went with 7mm-08 Rem. I've always hunted with rifles that I built. I loved 7mm-08 and used three in a row for a period of about 10 years or so. When I got burned out on that caliber I built a 7 mm Mauser on a 98 action in the style of a classic Sako. What a deer flattener. Good ballistics and very manageable recoil even when loaded up. I never fired heavy bullets only 140 grain of various makes. Not the best because you aren't going to find ammo readily available. But if you hand load it's an option for deer out to 300 yards. Something to consider if you are weird like me and want to use things that other people aren't using. Here's my disclaimer though I do own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I have pulled the trigger five times and taken home five deer so I would have to recommend it as well!

Bluemist

25-06 for me. MPBR to 325 yds, mild recoil, a great bean field rifle for the south. For those who don't hand load, Winchester's 120gr PEP cartridge delivers outstanding results on deer.

270 Joe

I have a lot of various caliber rifles . From the .223 to the .300 Win. mag. Even have a .45-70. Shot deer with most of them, except the .223. My go to rifle is my Marlin 336, in .30-30 loaded with 160 gr. Hornady FTX bullets over 35 grains of leverlution powder. That makes for a nice quick handling woods rifle, out to 200 yards. If I am in open country, I use my Remington 700 in 270 Win. Loaded with 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullets over 55 grains of IMR 4350. It's sighted in for a 200 yards. I shot many of antelope and deer with that load.

Rakkin6

Just my .02 but my favorite caliber is the .300 Win Mag. But if you are talking about for deer only I will say .270 may be the best in terms of recoil for power, ballistics and terminal performance. You can use it out west for longer shots, over bean fields or in hardwoods and take the largest whitetails.

Latest posts