Food Plots Fall Crop??

Rucka356

So when and what are you all putting in your fall plots? We currently have a mix of soybeans, green beans, clover, and whatever was in that big yellow bag of mix I picked up at walmart on clearance at the end of last season. We still have plenty of soy beans left, and from the looks of it, we will need to plant a much larger area because they have devoured it! Trying to figure out when we should plant our fall plot, primarily going to be soybeans, rye and some more of the yellow bag stuff.

BlountArrow

tnbowhunter3 said:
I would leave rye out...it looks realy good but deer don't eat much of it.

That might be your experience, but as a statement of fact I would have to strongly disagree that deer don't eat much annual rye grass.

spoon

Rucka356 said:
So when and what are you all putting in your fall plots? We currently have a mix of soybeans, green beans, clover, and whatever was in that big yellow bag of mix I picked up at walmart on clearance at the end of last season. We still have plenty of soy beans left, and from the looks of it, we will need to plant a much larger area because they have devoured it! Trying to figure out when we should plant our fall plot, primarily going to be soybeans, rye and some more of the yellow bag stuff.

When are you wanting to plant? What kind of clover are you planting? What are the seeds in the yellow walmart bag? Have you had you soil tested?

Rucka356

A.Hall said:
Rucka356 said:

I haven't had my soil tested, we planted mostly white clover with a little bit of crimson clover mixed in. I don't have the bag handy to look at, but I know it had some clover, rye, and I think radishes in it. There was a farmer about 30 minutes the other direction that I talked to and he said he had more deer in his fields when he started growing soybeans, so we gave that a shot, and it looks like they have taking a liking to it. Just not sure when we should start planting for the fall as this is our first try. Definitely going to stick to some soybeans.

When are you wanting to plant? What kind of clover are you planting? What are the seeds in the yellow walmart bag? Have you had you soil tested?

hitek7

We will be planting oats, winter peas and soybeans. The soy beans will basically just be for early season as I know they are not going to make. We will plant around the first/second week of Septemeber depending on rain.

warpheagle

I'm thinking about planting a mixture of white clover (durana), crimson clover (Dixie reseeding clover), and cereal rye grain (NOT rye grass). Anyone had experience with something like this?

PickettSFHunter

I'll be doing some durana/rye grain plots, some stand alone radish/ purple top turnip plots, wheat, rye, radish, purple top turnips mix and wheat, rye, crimson clover mix. Probably will do a durana/ chicory mix too. Will leave my current summer plots in beans, Lablab, milo, cowpeas, millet, and corn and just overseed them with wheat or rye around October. Got 10 acres to plant if I can get time for all of it.

Latest posts