Food Plots Fall seed mixes

Browning3006

Seeing what mixes you all have had good results with. I typically plant mid September on a tilled seed bed. PH is mid 6s.
My farm is in Jackson county. My mix that I have used for the past years has been
50 lbs oats
50lbs wheat
6 lbs radish's
5 lbs red clover.
It has always grown great and held deer late into winter. I am currently opening up another 1 acre plot about 200 yards away and want a different green on the table for them.

Browning3006

I tossed the idea of cereal rye, I use it on some of my roads after some logging work in the past but there was never much deer use on it. Was more so to hold the soil in place going into winter.

DoubleRidge

Few years back we went with a blend our local Co-op offered. Might say we pushed the "easy button" it contained winter wheat, oats, turnip and clover. Worked out ok but more recently we started doing our own blend of cereal rye and/or winter wheat with crimson clover and we will sometimes add in some purple top turnip and tilliage radish....but last year I was very impressed with the cereal rye during the abnormal cold period we had in December....while it did fade to a light green color...once we warmed back up to a normal temp and got rain it greened up and was beutiful....while most everything else froze out and remained brown....the cereal rye also added allot of organic material to a couple of our newer plots which aids in soil building.

BSK

Any reason for the biannual red clover instead of an annual clover? Are you wanting the red clover to last through the summer?

Browning3006

I order the mammoth red clover, and it puts on growth extremely fast compared to some other types of clover. I normally let everything green back up in the spring and summer only mowing once before terminating it all before fall.

rem270

My plot behind the house I planted 50 lbs of oats and mixed in throw and grow seed last year. It did excellent.

For this year I will plant 50 lbs of oats and bought throw and grow seed and the 5 card draw seed to mix in. I don't measure out in pounds just always fill the hand seeder about 3/4 with oats and 1/4 of the other seed and spread it out and till back over it making a seed bed. Was able to triple seed everything last year in this plot. I've had crimson clover take over about half of my plot from last year which I'm happy with. I'm going to keep that in there and till out a bigger section on all sides of it for my new plot.

My other property I will do 4-5 plots with the same mix of oats and either throw and grow or the 5 card seed. Plan to do the plot behind my house the 3rd Saturday of August and will do the 4-5 plots the last weekend of August.

Planted this plot the last weekend of August last year. Here's some pics of it.
screen_7243cd80c875e6c9_1661637355137.jpg

20221104_084326.jpg
20220920_185855.jpg

20221113_062828.jpg

20221115_162342.jpg

Last edited:

tellico4x4

Turned my seed order in today for next month. Probably won't plant until Sept whenever weather is right. Big year for us planting. Lots of clover at end of life cycle & several new plots that we pushed out logging decks last year. Had 120T lime spread last year and did soil tests in March. All our old plots are in great shape ranging from 6.2-7.1. A lot of new ones are mid to high 5's, with one being a 4.9! Brought nearly 3 tons of pelletized lime up today to help them out.

Low PH seed order:
25 bags of cereal rye & 300# of Crimson & Rape blended together.

Good PH seed order:
25 bags of grain mix wheat, oats, rye & crimson.Just their standard low cost mix. 250# blend of Durana, Advantage Landino, Yucci Arrowleaf, Fixation Balansa & Brassicas

Browning3006

Tellico now that is laying some seed down!
Im Holding out for late September when I can make it back up to plant. Use to always do them in august but it's just too hot and not much rain around that time.

tellico4x4

Got about 30 acres total to do. September is historically our driest months. Have waited until first of Nov before.
With all the hassel the past few years on getting seed, just wanted to go ahead and get it ordered. Had to stop there today & buy lime anyhow.

Latest posts