EXPERT?

Boone25/06

Only problem with being and "expert" is when others call or consider you and "expert" it usually mean you are worth listening to and full of useful information as they have been around and seen your knowledge first hand. When you call yourself and "expert" all that I hear is "Toot Toot" from that point on. Tell you advice and knowledge but let others label you as an "expert" or "toot on". This isn't just for this topic just in life itself, Show me you know don't tell me how much you know.
Bsk for example has shown me from his post he's an expert and I've never seen him tell anyone how much of expert he is.

BigDave12

Pretty good compendium of definitions for "expert" from Wikipedia (I underline a particularly important section):

"An expert is somebody who has a broad and deep understanding and competence in terms of knowledge, skill and experience through practice and education in a particular field. Informally, an expert is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of technique or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study. Experts are called in for advice on their respective subject, but they do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study. An expert can be believed, by virtue of credentials, training, education, profession, publication or experience, to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individual's opinion on that topic. Historically, an expert was referred to as a sage. The individual was usually a profound thinker distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment."
Well put BSK and exactly why I put the post out there that is did yesterday. You, and many others on this site, have proven over the years to provide 'expert' advice to many on here as long as we are willing to just open our minds and listen. Define it as one may, but I really appreciate the perspectives of many here - especially yours.

utvolsfan77

The problem with those who consider themselves "experts" at anything is that closing the mind accompanies the title. It's possible to have two or more true experts completely disagree on a topic, and all be 100% correct given their unique experiences. And rather than learn from one another in a positive exchange of knowledge that would undoubtedly benefit everybody throughout the periphery, they instead argue in order to retain their place or climb in the hierarchy.

Once an expert becomes defensive and sinks to discrediting opposing views in order support their own, I no longer consider them a valid source. They're compromised. As a dumb dum that is the only way I've found to screen the info from all the "experts".
Ski you are 100% correct in this statement!!!

I experience this situation frequently with my brother on a variety of subjects, not just hunting. To prevent an argument when I disagree with his view, I always use the glass half-full or half-empty example. A definitive answer depends upon one's personal perspective.

My brother looks at EVERYTHING differently than most folks do. He can't help it, it's just the way his brain was wired. He will answer the glass is half-empty while I will disagree and argue that it is half-full. He simply cannot understand that we can have totally opposite views, yet both be 100% correct simultaneously, depending upon our respective points of view.

I think the same logic happens a lot in these forums, and I blame that on the explosion of hunting shows on cable and satellite TV and Youtube over the last 10-15 years. The population of armchair experts explodes exponentially. lol

Last edited:

Snake

You can watch the hunting videos and they will show you who an expert is . The hunting pros constantly kill trophy bucks so they are indeed experts . Hog wash !!!! Put these experts on public land in the mountains of Tennessee and see how many trophy bucks they kill !! There are a few on this site that I would consider experts in how to kill a mature buck . One I know travels to other states killing huge bucks on public land so I do know this takes time and persistence. Does this make him an expert ? To me yes but to him probably not because even though you have success you continue to learn from your mistakes.

Latest posts