CWD from the experts............

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Thought I would share this presentation. Perhaps you might want to share this with some of your respective state's biologists.

https://texasdeerassociation.com/wp...R ... UT-CWD.pdf

BOTTOM LINE ON CWD PREVENTION AND CONTROL EFFORTS

A review of the literature based on actual data (not predictive models) clearly shows that that
any past combination of quarantines, containment zones, surveillance zones, depopulation,
elective harvest, increased harvest limits, supplemental feeding bans, baiting bans, bans
on the importation of live cervid species, bans on the importation, of carcasses, bans on
the importation of trophies, and bans on urine based lures, HAVE NOT been effective in
preventing, controlling, or eradicating CWD in any State. These programs have cost in
excess of $100,000,000 of public funding and the killing of thousands of deer without any
measurable positive results.

ADR

knightrider":1c7eugp3 said:
It's been in the dirt for thousands of years and I suspect it will continue no matter what we do

I was unfamiliar with it being thousands of years old. Please enlighten me, where can I read about that?

hard county

The disease didn't manifest out of thin air, the first documentation was in the 60s but plenty of maladies even among humans have been discovered since, that doesn't mean they haven't been around. It's primarily transmitted via saliva, I think a few common sense measures with that in mind can help. Mostly by providing something better than stagnant water for drinking.
ADR":28wcwl29 said:
knightrider":28wcwl29 said:
It's been in the dirt for thousands of years and I suspect it will continue no matter what we do

I was unfamiliar with it being thousands of years old. Please enlighten me, where can I read about that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ADR

hard county":2crlpy5k said:
The disease didn't manifest out of thin air, the first documentation was in the 60s but plenty of maladies even among humans have been discovered since, that doesn't mean they haven't been around. It's primarily transmitted via saliva, I think a few common sense measures with that in mind can help. Mostly by providing something better than stagnant water for drinking.
ADR":2crlpy5k said:
knightrider":2crlpy5k said:

I'm very well versed in TSE's and particularly CWD. I'm not discounting that it could have existed before 1960's but a lot of researching has led me to question that. If there was documented proof, I wanted to investigate.

hard county

I agree that it needs investigating. Really the best info I've found is through mad cow. I think providing better quality water sources by building ponds and eliminating mud puddles will be proven most effective.

Another thing I read about recently here https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/n ... er-mad.amp suggests that copper can stabilize prps. I know that copper sulfate is used to keep algae out of ponds and my mom uses a coil of copper wire in her fish pond for the same reason. So the benefits seem to be in multiple areas.

I think deepening some of the bigger holes on properties (throwing in some copper for good measure) while draining some mosquito traps is a good idea for cwd prevention.
ADR":1tza579d said:
hard county":1tza579d said:
ADR":1tza579d said:
knightrider said:

I'm very well versed in TSE's and particularly CWD. I'm not discounting that it could have existed before 1960's but a lot of researching has led me to question that. If there was documented proof, I wanted to investigate.
I

ADR

Interesting article. If you like low copper levels as potentially problematic you should read McDonnells (sp?) paper concerning low Cwd and low soil copper levels out west. I'll try to find it for you and post a link.

Just in case there are sheep around, sheep are sensitive to copper levels and can easily reach toxic levels if supplemented.

hard county

ADR":31o04tjd said:
Interesting article. If you like low copper levels as potentially problematic you should read McDonnells (sp?) paper concerning low Cwd and low soil copper levels out west. I'll try to find it for you and post a link.

Just in case there are sheep around, sheep are sensitive to copper levels and can easily reach toxic levels if supplemented.

Its really hard to know what to do from a management perspective. I'm considering putting in a watering hole or 20 on my place now because:
1 I can use copper in the water to kill mosquito larvae and supplement deer
2 The midges that were blamed for the ehd outbreak breed in mud flats that wouldn't be an issue in a plastic barrel
3 I can put out lots of watering holes cheaply limiting deer concentration and saliva transmitting cwd
4 I can put the watering sites on the highest, shadiest points of my property which wouldn't be as conducive to mosquito or midge production

Its hard to know what is right. I remember BSK (who I have immense respect for) years ago on here saying that he never recommended stagnant water sources on a place because deer get water from plants, dew etc. But, I have so many mosquito traps on my place including a long creek that dries up leaving holes of water, mud flats and places where the sun shines on them, that I know that deer will drink out of we found 6 bucks in it when the big ehd hit. If I can give them these alternatives is it really a bad thing?

You're clearly knowledgeable on the subject, I'd appreciate your opinion, or any ideas to make to watering holes safer, and that paper.

hard county

My mom put a round 2 feet coil in her fish pond and it cleared it up some. It didn't hurt the fish either, pennies also work. I think it would be hard to over do it. Weve also used copper sulfate to get the algae out of a pond. I have no idea how much would be needed to beneficiary supplement deer though. A salt lick might be a better medium for it. I wonder if you could even test your soil for copper levels and if they're low maybe put some in your food plots? I think that would be a question for a biologist.
smyrnagc":911civ1q said:
Question...If anyone has experience with this: How much copper wire in, say, a horse trough?

AT Hiker

TX300mag":cu9pr3s4 said:
With all due respect, please consider the possibility that the deer farming industry (TDA) might have some bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bias, yea I think so but given how new CWD research is and the over the top prevention methods are (killing every animal within a radius) it's no wonder some people/groups are skeptical. Deer farms are also easy targets and as much as I've grown to dislike them they are sitting ducks.

Why not monitor agriculture? We now have strong evidence that CWD can be up taken through a plants roots, therefore stored in the plant. So, we have a CWD herd feeding on a alfalfa patch and defecating prions all over this field. Farmer comes in, cuts, bales and ships the hay off to another part of the country. Just like that CWD is now being transported across the nation unknown.

It's some scary stuff and the pessimist in me thinks that CWD will be the turning point for North American Wildlife Conservation as well as our neighbors to the North and other country's where we have shipped CWD infected cervids.

scn

AT Hiker":1ochnaev said:
TX300mag":1ochnaev said:
With all due respect, please consider the possibility that the deer farming industry (TDA) might have some bias.

Bias, yea I think so but given how new CWD research is and the over the top prevention methods are (killing every animal within a radius) it's no wonder some people/groups are skeptical. Deer farms are also easy targets and as much as I've grown to dislike them they are sitting ducks.

Why not monitor agriculture? We now have strong evidence that CWD can be up taken through a plants roots, therefore stored in the plant. So, we have a CWD herd feeding on a alfalfa patch and defecating prions all over this field. Farmer comes in, cuts, bales and ships the hay off to another part of the country. Just like that CWD is now being transported across the nation unknown.

It's some scary stuff and the pessimist in me thinks that CWD will be the turning point for North American Wildlife Conservation as well as our neighbors to the North and other country's where we have shipped CWD infected cervids.

I've never heard of the plant angle before. Could you link me to the research on that so I can read up on that aspect?

AT Hiker

scn":3p8myud5 said:
I've never heard of the plant angle before. Could you link me to the research on that so I can read up on that aspect?

I first heard about it listening to a Joe Rogan podcast with CWD "expert" Bryan Richards.

Here is a 2015 study; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4715004374

So in a lab setting prions can be spread via infected plants, *specifically hamsters fed contaminated plants contracted the prion* Does the lab equal the real world? In this case I hope not[emoji17]

scn

AT Hiker":qnbvq9uv said:
scn":qnbvq9uv said:

I first heard about it listening to a Joe Rogan podcast with CWD "expert" Bryan Richards.

Here is a 2015 study; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4715004374

So in a lab setting prions can be spread via infected plants, *specifically hamsters fed contaminated plants contracted the prion* Does the lab equal the real world? In this case I hope not[emoji17]

Thanks! Interesting (and scary) article.