Question for the experts

knightrider

Nearly 200 dear in 33 years of hunting and never once have i killed a deer missing big patches of hair but every show you watch all the bucks are missing hair

dhpro

If your talks by about the balding places behind the shoulders and on the tender loin Rib area . Was told by guy in Illinois it's where they take the rack back and it rubs and scratches there hide ?? He seemed to know and I took him at his word

Wrangler95

If it is hunting shows on TV,most of the bucks have fought with each other,fighting is the reason that hair is missing!

RS

Many of the bucks I see in Kansas have hair missing on their back shoulders. From what I can tell, a lot of it is due to them going under barbwire fences, which are everywhere in the area I hunt. It's funny watching a big buck come up to a fence that isn't that high, and instead of jumping over it, he chooses to squat and go under.

BSK

Many of the bucks I see in Kansas have hair missing on their back shoulders. From what I can tell, a lot of it is due to them going under barbwire fences, which are everywhere in the area I hunt. It's funny watching a big buck come up to a fence that isn't that high, and instead of jumping over it, he chooses to squat and go under.
That would make sense. Whatever is causing the patches of hair to be missing, it's regional. Never seen it in the Southeast.

Rakkin6

No expert but I would assume fighting and rubbing up against thing like fence posts, trees etc. Deer have to scratch somehow lol

mike243

Cant remember the last year I watched a hunting show and don't remember seeing balded deer but under fences would cause some problems

Carlos

I've dragged a few deer about a mile, and they'd have bald spots on their front shoulders.
Maybe they're puling them behind their atv?

DeerMan66

I've taken a couple bucks in middle TN with small bald spots, about the size of the top of a coke can, between their shoulder blades. The fence theory makes a lot of sense, but there are hardly any fences any where near the area that I hunt. Saying all that to say, I don't know how they got the bald spots.

recurve60#

If your talks by about the balding places behind the shoulders and on the tender loin Rib area . Was told by guy in Illinois it's where they take the rack back and it rubs and scratches there hide ?? He seemed to know and I took him at his word
Ive killed several with bald spor on their back. When I'd tip their head all the way back their g2's hit dead center of the bald spots. All Tn deer.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
First time I saw it in person was this past season. With where it is located, and the fact that it had a hole in it as big around as my finger and deeper than the first knuckle, I assumed he had been fighting, got an injury, and it itched so he kept scratching it.
IMG_20211218_081917.jpg

DoubleRidge

Not many but I've seen a few locally with the scuff mark between shoulders....quick glance through some older pics on phone and located a couple as examples.....the scuff mark on the younger buck is more obvious than the marks on the old buck.

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_154437932~3.jpg
    IMG_20201213_154437932~3.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 11762~2.jpeg
    11762~2.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts