EXPERT?

Define this please.
Google dictionary says:
A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge or skill in a particular area.

I AM...but not in the area of deer hunting that you may think.

I consider myself an expert on HOW to kill deer with a bow. And not in the way you think.

I mean the MECHANICS of how the Broadhead kills the deer by affecting what organs.

The anatomy of the deer is what I have spent 40 years learning.
In other words, how the arrow/broadhead hit affects the outcome.

Blood trailing, hair color, deer reaction, angles, distance, type of head, ETC.

I have GREAT experience with these things.

Along the journey of learning effective recovery rare I've also learned a lot about deer behavior, habitat, rut, and how to consistently put myself into a position to effectively make kills, at almost any angle the deer body gives me.

And then how to read sign from deer reaction, arrow evidence, blood evidence, etc. to help enable high rate of recovery.

Beyond this, after 325 bow kills personally on whitetails, I'm still learning.

If you enjoy hunting and being successful, I can probably help you a lot, especially if you are relatively new at this.
If you primarily want to kill B/C or P/Y bucks, probably not so much. You should move to a Youtube State (think Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, to name a few)

The problem with calling yourself an "Expert" is other "experts". Generally they don't like it. I'm not sure why, probably an ego thing, but they tend to really get their hackles up when you start talking with authority. Even if you have the hard evidence (tags) to prove it.

I have never seen this play out more than in deer hunting. I've spoken to absolute NOVICE hunters before who would argue to go after gut shot deer immediately. Even after being SHOWN hard evidence to the contrary.
And this is ONE example.

BSK (an absolute expert in his area of property management) has literally been argued with about factual matters with others who had very little experience on the topic.

There are other examples but y'all get the point.

So when I talk about just about anything concerning deer hunting, remember, I am really good at killing "DEER" with a bow, public, private. But killing big B/C, P/Y bucks, in Tennessee...or the South...well, I'll leave that to the experts!

Also, I am a scorer for B/C, P/Y. But I'm no expert. (I do know one or two though)

CBU93

I too am an expert n scoring deer on the CBU93 GGM (Good Googly Moogly) scale.

And you can take this as an official press release, the CBU 93GGM scale does actually endorse the use of cellular trail cams, any trail cams, any type of modern technology that assist in harvesting large antler bucks and taking pictures of the dead. With the exception of live scope, that yugo just not fair.

Last edited:

Ski

The problem with those who consider themselves "experts" at anything is that closing the mind accompanies the title. It's possible to have two or more true experts completely disagree on a topic, and all be 100% correct given their unique experiences. And rather than learn from one another in a positive exchange of knowledge that would undoubtedly benefit everybody throughout the periphery, they instead argue in order to retain their place or climb in the hierarchy.

Once an expert becomes defensive and sinks to discrediting opposing views in order support their own, I no longer consider them a valid source. They're compromised. As a dumb dum that is the only way I've found to screen the info from all the "experts".

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
The problem with those who consider themselves "experts" at anything is that closing the mind accompanies the title. It's possible to have two or more true experts completely disagree on a topic, and all be 100% correct given their unique experiences. And rather than learn from one another in a positive exchange of knowledge that would undoubtedly benefit everybody throughout the periphery, they instead argue in order to retain their place or climb in the hierarchy.

Once an expert becomes defensive and sinks to discrediting opposing views in order support their own, I no longer consider them a valid source. They're compromised. As a dumb dum that is the only way I've found to screen the info from all the "experts".
Like Fauci

Ski

Like Fauci

Bingo! Man can't get out of his own way. I 100% believe he has something positive to offer but he can't resist the desire to be validated, affirmation & adoration from all those "below" him. Seems to cloud his judgement & crack his integrity to the point he can no longer be trusted. Any positive contribution he could have had is now tainted and void.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Bingo! Man can't get out of his own way. I 100% believe he has something positive to offer but he can't resist the desire to be validated, affirmation & adoration from all those "below" him. Seems to cloud his judgement & crack his integrity to the point he can no longer be trusted. Any positive contribution he could have had is now tainted and void.
Most experts I've come across are like that, especially engineers.

Pilchard

It takes a special person to reach expert level at anything and have the self-awareness to know that there is still room for learning.

I generally prefer to seek "experts" who spent their life doing and learning and only start giving advice when they are too old to continue or have outgrown their previous passions. That combination of expertise and wisdom is normally more powerful than the person who is currently seen as the best.

There are a few exceptions, Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, etc.

Last edited:

Ski wrote'

That my friend...IS SPOT ON!

Every season this "expert" gets a surprise in my area of "expertise".

Read the story I posted about a month ago where my target buck "died" and laid there (32 yards away) in front of me stone still. While I texted and talked to my friends. Only to rise up about 13 minutes later and hobble off...(I followed up with a kill shot, after RAPIDLY descending the tree)

I have been blessed with being around really good hunters over the past 4 decades. I've learned a lot.

The best "EXPERTS" that I've met over the years knew their stuff. But the best ones listened. And were always LEARNING.

Wannabe "experts" don't listen. They think they already know!

Now it's my turn to help.

Just not sure how.

philsanchez76

Well said. It reminds me of an episode of Ted Lasso (amazing show by the way, about the most uplifting thing ive seen come out of the Hollywood hell mouth). He talks about how most people just judge everyone and everything around them. Either people agree with them and are not a threat or they don't agree and defenses are raised immediately. Once they lose that curiosity, they are done learning. I think a true expert never loses that curiosity and that keeps the ego small enough to actually keep learning and growing.

philsanchez76

Ski wrote'

That my friend...IS SPOT ON!

Every season this "expert" gets a surprise in my area of "expertise".

Read the story I posted about a month ago where my target buck "died" and laid there (32 yards away) in front of me stone still. While I texted and talked to my friends. Only to rise up about 13 minutes later and hobble off...(I followed up with a kill shot, after RAPIDLY descending the tree)

I have been blessed with being around really good hunters over the past 4 decades. I've learned a lot.

The best "EXPERTS" that I've met over the years knew their stuff. But the best ones listened. And were always LEARNING.

Now it's my turn to help.

Just not sure how.
I appreciate your willingness to help! What's your scouting process look like? How much post-season vs in-season scouting? What areas do you prioritize and what does the sign look like that makes you know you need to set up there? I hope this is what you meant by being willing to help. haha.

Ski

Hahaha yessir! I learned long ago that myself and expert are like oil & water. They don't mix. I'm not too proud to say with confidence that there's a whole lot more I don't know than there is I do know.

That said, I do understand that everybody has experience & knowledge unique to them, and if shared can benefit all. So I strive to be mindful in absorbing whatever I can from anybody, no matter how cringe worthy their personality may be. A single seemingly insignificant tidbit might just be the key to unlocking a puzzle I've been trying to solve. If I completely ignore the annoying "experts" then I'm only robbing myself.

BSK

I really can't define the term "expert" 102. And I think a big problem is the narrowness with which that term needs to be applied. I know some people with all of the letters after their name to prove they are experts in studying, measuring and understanding deer behavior or movement patterns, but that doesn't mean they know squat about HUNTING deer. In fact, some of those people couldn't hunt their way out of a paper bag. I sort of add myself to that list. I guess I'm an "expert" at monitoring local deer populations through the use of trail-cameras. However, I'm one of the laziest hunters you ever want to meet. I walk the easiest route to my stand even if that is the exact route the deer will walk, I'm out of my stand by 9:00 AM because I'm bored, I gave up bow-hunting because I can't shoot a bow worth crap, and my sum total of annual shooting practice with a firearm is often one round out of my MZ and one out of my rifle to make sure the scopes are still on. I'm a flat-out lazy hunter. So I guess I'm an "expert" at using trail-cameras for the purpose of understanding local deer populations, but I'm not much of a deer HUNTER.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
My college professor described an expert as someone from out of town with a briefcase.
The tearing down the qualifications of "experts" is the Highlander theory……..there can only be one. Some people don't accept the idea that there can be more than one "expert" on the same subject matter. You see this played out many time in court cases when you have the dual between the prosecution and the defendant's expert witnesses.

BSK

Pretty good compendium of definitions for "expert" from Wikipedia (I underline a particularly important section):

"An expert is somebody who has a broad and deep understanding and competence in terms of knowledge, skill and experience through practice and education in a particular field. Informally, an expert is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of technique or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study. Experts are called in for advice on their respective subject, but they do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study. An expert can be believed, by virtue of credentials, training, education, profession, publication or experience, to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individual's opinion on that topic. Historically, an expert was referred to as a sage. The individual was usually a profound thinker distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment."

Latest posts