Effect of the New Antlered Deer Definition

megalomaniac

I suppose in future years if it is too much work to bother looking for visible antler, one would be better off NOT shooting the first buck they see. Save that buck tag for late in the season,so it won't matter if you make a mistake and kill one acorn spike thinking it was a doe.

But honestly, any rule that makes people think and really study an animal before pulling the trigger is probably a good thing. Hopefully fewer livestock will end up accidentally shot, and it may even save another hunter's life.

Grill-n-man

First let me address that antler restrictions might save a persons life, WTH.

Now back to reality, many comments/ideas on this being a decision based on true biology or not - political agendas - or simply just plain ole business - as well as the pros and cons. One topic seems to be getting left out, that is the new hunter/next generation. Yeah its been covered about how the 150" booners will be running every where in a few years for these new hunters to kill, yup said kill cause farmers harvest and thieves take but hunters kill. But lets think on this for a minute, have we progressed from teaching our children that killing any animal that spends most of its life trying not to be supper that one is lucky/skilled enough to kill is cause enough for joy and celebration? Has it now been replaced with the idea that if a certain part of said animal doesn't reach a certain number on a tape measure it is to be looked upon with shame and will be condemned by others? Seems most have forgotten what is was like to be new, the mistakes, the bad shots, just learning how to spot a deer much less the sex, thinking it was a doe only to find out it was a button or small spike, etc. I wonder how many of today's experts/experienced hunters if they could stand eye to eye with themselves during those first couple of years with the mentality as it is now could look themselves in the eye? To me this new antler rule is more than just growing bigger racks, its leading hunting away from what its meant to be and leading it into the world of business. Think not? Only time will tell but then again from what I hear about how how many inches of antlers is acceptable before one kills an antlered deer is being taught in some hunter safety classes that time may already be here.

Hunter 257W

TNCharlie":1p2jit22 said:
I guess that this is the way that the new anterless deer definition was intended to work.

Note: I'm not offering a judgement or opinion in this note. I'm just telling my personal experience. I am not a meat hunter; I am not a trophy hunter. I am a deer hunter. My only personal requirement for a deer is that it be legal.

Yesterday morning I had a 4-point buck offer a shot. Typically I shoot the first deer I get a chance at to start the season. This one was no exception and now is at the processor.

I was back in the stand this morning. After a couple of hours I saw a deer approaching and got ready. Its head was down and it was in no hurry. As I watched it turned its head and I saw what I thought was a small antler. Peeking through my scope I could see two small antlers; not clearly but they were there.

Immediately I realized that this is the third day of the season. If I shoot any antlered deer now, then I have absolutely no margin for error for the rest of the season. Then if I make a mistake and discover a deer that I shot has a nub that has broken the skin I will be in trouble. I wouldn't even want to hunt anymore this year. So I let that one walk.

Now I'm thinking that I will let any buck walk unless it is some kind of personal record or if I'm ready to stop hunting for the year. After I kill a second one, accidentally or intentionally, I'm just not going to enjoy hunting knowing that if I make a mistake and shoot one of those "through the skin" buttons I'm in trouble.

So I probably won't shoot another antlered deer and will just shoot does. If I do accidentally kill a button, I'll just quit hunting for the year. It's not worth taking the chance that I might make a second mistake.

Why would you not shoot another antlered deer? You said you always start out by shooting the 1st deer that comes along. You did that and now you can hunt for a bigger buck that makes you happy. Why wouldn't you shoot it if it comes along? If it's not big enough to make you happy, keep hunting?

Southern Sportsman

Grill-n-man":37yx344d said:
. . . from what I hear about how many inches of antlers is acceptable before one kills an antlered deer . . .

This is what I dont understand. If you kill a buck with antlers, you kill an antlered buck. It is absolutely "acceptable" to do so. You can do it twice per year. And if it makes you happy, it makes me happy for you. I have never heard anyone condone a kid or anyone for that matter for killing an antlered buck even if less than 3 inches. Buy why do people think they should be able to kill an antlered buck, but not have it count as an antlered buck? It just seems silly.

jb357

Southern Sportsman":2fqz5e9v said:
Grill-n-man":2fqz5e9v said:
. . . from what I hear about how many inches of antlers is acceptable before one kills an antlered deer . . .

This is what I dont understand. If you kill a buck with antlers, you kill an antlered buck. It is absolutely "acceptable" to do so. You can do it twice per year. And if it makes you happy, it makes me happy for you. I have never heard anyone condone a kid or anyone for that matter for killing an antlered buck even if less than 3 inches. Buy why do people think they should be able to kill an antlered buck, but not have it count as an antlered buck? It just seems silly.
Its just something else for them to complain about that's been "taken away by liberals" and "catering to trophy hunters". Kill what makes you happy within the confines of the rules. The only people I have a problem with are the ones that kill the first fork horn that walks by and says they wish it was bigger and they're no big bucks around.

TNCharlie

"I guess that this is the way that the new anterless deer definition was intended to work.

Note: I'm not offering a judgement or opinion in this note. I'm just telling my personal experience. I am not a meat hunter; I am not a trophy hunter. I am a deer hunter. My only personal requirement for a deer is that it be legal."

Those sentences are how I introduced my note. Unfortunately it seems that many people didn't read them or didn't understand them. I offered absolutely no opinion about the rule (in fact, I said that it works), I didn't "blame" anyone (blame for what?), and didn't complain about anything. I simply stated how the new definition means that I have to adjust some of my methods. Those that understood replied and commented about how they would make sure that they also commit no violations.

Then people started with the opinions. Some of the statements were asinine beyond belief. I really wonder if some of the posters even hunt.

Thanks to those that understood and commented appropriately. I'm done with this.

megalomaniac

Southern Sportsman":3ki9km5j said:
Grill-n-man":3ki9km5j said:

exactly... no one is restricting you from killing TWO of them per year. 'meat' and 'deer' hunters should be happy as a pig in slop getting to kill two buttons plus however many does their particular unit allows. If you would rather 'trophy' hunt... well, that's a whole different ballgame. You actually have to learn how to tell the difference between a buck fawn and a doe fawn to trophy hunt and still shoot surplus fawns. So... it only hurts the 'trophy' hunters in reality

megalomaniac

Grill-n-man":13dxlhmg said:
First let me address that antler restrictions might save a persons life, WTH.

Personally, I've never heard of a fatal hunting accident where one hunter shot another that started out with... 'well, I saw this hunter coming through the brush... he looked to be a pretty good redneck, so I got my gun up quick and could just barely find him in the scope since it was almost too dark. Luckily, my 50mm objective let just enough light in to see the crosshairs, so I levelled them on his chest and smoked him!'.... seems like every shooting accident I've EVER heard of went like this... 'I saw something moving, THOUGHT it was a deer, so I shot... gosh, I'm SO SORRY I killed my best friend'.

Most of us went to hunter safety course... Know your target and what is beyond your target. Part of 'knowing' your target is determining what animal it is, the sex of the animal, and whether it is legal to kill. 'nuff said

Southern Sportsman

TNCharlie":2q5uco8g said:
"I guess that this is the way that the new anterless deer definition was intended to work.

Note: I'm not offering a judgement or opinion in this note. I'm just telling my personal experience. I am not a meat hunter; I am not a trophy hunter. I am a deer hunter. My only personal requirement for a deer is that it be legal."

Those sentences are how I introduced my note. Unfortunately it seems that many people didn't read them or didn't understand them. I offered absolutely no opinion about the rule (in fact, I said that it works), I didn't "blame" anyone (blame for what?), and didn't complain about anything. I simply stated how the new definition means that I have to adjust some of my methods. Those that understood replied and commented about how they would make sure that they also commit no violations.

Then people started with the opinions. Some of the statements were asinine beyond belief. I really wonder if some of the posters even hunt.

Thanks to those that understood and commented appropriately. I'm done with this.

FWIW, my comments were not directed at you. Just general observations about the new rule.

Grundy.308

Mike Belt":1pam07jk said:
I haven't heard of anyone I know shooting one of those "contradictory" bucks yet but I suspect it'll happen before it's all over. All I can advise anyone is that if you're buck hunting you probably won't make any mistakes. If you see antler and want to shoot that buck then shoot away. If you're doe hunting you need to take a good look before shooting. That's what the new regulation was designed to do; make you take a good look BEFORE shooting.

I shot one yesterday thinking it was a small doe for the freezer. Luckily it didn't break the skin. Was a little upset to have taken a young buck out of the chance to grow up, but was also happy to put meat in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDS05

I personally don't like it. Though well never know all the truth behind each computer, it would be interesting knowing how many antlered bucks are counted as antlerless later it the yr..I don't INTEND on shooting 2 antlered deer this year but it will certainly make me question the 150-200 shots on does I annually look forward to when I want to fill the freezer towards the end of season..

Mike Belt

I used to zero my rifles at 150 yards for the occasions I hunted fields that might provide long shots. I'm back down to 100 yard zeros now. Older eyes don't see as well in dim light at 4-500 yards as they used to and it's easy to mistake just what's on a deer's head.

I think we should have had this for a long time. A buck is a buck. A law should never be changed or written because you think people will not abide by it. We shouldn't change the law because a law breaker leaves a deer laying because they are careless. It is written for a good reason. In this case, a male deer should count as such.

Vermin93

http://archive.skem1.com/csb/Public/show/dfmgy--acdzl-14r63bv1

2) BETTER HERD NUTRITION
A decreased number of mouths feeding on a property ensures the deer that do live there receive a higher percentage of the more desirable and higher nutritional plants and crops that are planted for them. Be certain of your target when doing your trigger finger management this season. Many button bucks and yearling spikes are killed every year by being mistaken for does. Although mistakes are going to happen, take the time to use your binoculars and scope to really check the deer carefully before taking the shot. Every immature buck killed by mistaken identity is a step backwards in managing a herd for its highest potential.

Latest posts