Speaking of tough deer

slabhead

A buddy got these pictures yesterday.

IMG_5056.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg

backyardtndeer

Clay Criner

Omega

No way that first one is a head shot, it looks like it goes around to the bottom of the neck. He was either in a fence, or a fight. That second one doesn't look like it could be the same animal, the skin would not heal like that, it would have to be sutured to come back together in any form.

killingtime 41

They obviously don't feel pain like a human. And they have an uncanny way of healing wounds. Probably from millions of years of living in the wild. A human would never survive any of those wounds without medical intervention. Plus the pain would be so severe a human couldn't stand it except in quick adrenaline fueled fight or flight instances. And would die very quickly afterwards

Lt.Dan

We shoot an animal and see a pint of blood along the trail and think it means certain death. These pictures say otherwise. Shooting an animal and having blood on the ground doesn't guarantee anything, even if you hit vitals. You've got to hit vitals really well to ensure death or the deer might just decide to survive.
The instict to live is strong in the animal kingdom

Lt.Dan

I shot this one in 2020. He was quartering away from me. Left a 300+ yard blood trail then dried up and disappeared until I caught him on a scape/ licking branch the following spring. Alive and well. My shot was bad, it was back 6 inches because he stepped forward, it was high, passed through and over vitals. I'm glad he lived.
DSCF0124.JPG
DSCF0124~2.JPG