Effect of the New Antlered Deer Definition

TNCharlie

I guess that this is the way that the new anterless deer definition was intended to work.

Note: I'm not offering a judgement or opinion in this note. I'm just telling my personal experience. I am not a meat hunter; I am not a trophy hunter. I am a deer hunter. My only personal requirement for a deer is that it be legal.

Yesterday morning I had a 4-point buck offer a shot. Typically I shoot the first deer I get a chance at to start the season. This one was no exception and now is at the processor.

I was back in the stand this morning. After a couple of hours I saw a deer approaching and got ready. Its head was down and it was in no hurry. As I watched it turned its head and I saw what I thought was a small antler. Peeking through my scope I could see two small antlers; not clearly but they were there.

Immediately I realized that this is the third day of the season. If I shoot any antlered deer now, then I have absolutely no margin for error for the rest of the season. Then if I make a mistake and discover a deer that I shot has a nub that has broken the skin I will be in trouble. I wouldn't even want to hunt anymore this year. So I let that one walk.

Now I'm thinking that I will let any buck walk unless it is some kind of personal record or if I'm ready to stop hunting for the year. After I kill a second one, accidentally or intentionally, I'm just not going to enjoy hunting knowing that if I make a mistake and shoot one of those "through the skin" buttons I'm in trouble.

So I probably won't shoot another antlered deer and will just shoot does. If I do accidentally kill a button, I'll just quit hunting for the year. It's not worth taking the chance that I might make a second mistake.

jb357

Duck dogn":7syf9q7b said:
I feel the same way I feel maybe these careless hunters will probably leave alot of those bucks dead in the woods!
Or do the usual and not check them out/telecheck them as a doe. I figured this would be the first raging rant post about the new rule. We'll see it in a few weeks.

Southern Sportsman

I just dont understand how this new rule is objectionable to anybody. If it has antler, it's a buck. You get two bucks per year. If somebody "accidently" shoots a buck that they thought was a doe, dont blame the government.

pockets

Southern Sportsman":7qh42nvv said:
I just dont understand how this new rule is objectionable to anybody. If it has antler, it's a buck. You get two bucks per year. If somebody "accidently" shoots a buck that they thought was a doe, dont blame the government.
This :pop:

jb357

Southern Sportsman":us66j7bw said:
But it's all the liberals fault for taking away our deer hunting opportunities! :roll: . There's no excuse for "accidently" shooting a buck with scopes and binoculars. If you're still not sure, dont shoot.

Vermin93

Southern Sportsman":fwul8qek said:

x4

lightsareout

every other state has the 3" rule, why would TN change to this level of idiocracy. I sure hope it changes back next year.

Headhunter

lightsareout":3akanero said:
every other state has the 3" rule, why would TN change to this level of idiocracy. I sure hope it changes back next year.

Not even other state has a 3" rule. That is wrong.

lightsareout

Headhunter":29zfywii said:
lightsareout":29zfywii said:

Thank you for pointing this out; every state that I'm aware of - mostly midwest states

JKC

(Peeking through my scope I could see two small antlers; not clearly but they were there) Looks like you can see pretty good go ahead and hunt and if you make the mistake then worry about then.

iowavf

lightsareout":nbmup2hl said:
Headhunter":nbmup2hl said:
lightsareout":nbmup2hl said:

Thank you for pointing this out; every state that I'm aware of - mostly midwest states
In Iowa a legal buck must have 1 forked antler, or it's considered a doe. We also only have 1 buck tag for the gun seasons, 1 buck tag for archery seasons and if you qualify as a landowner, you can get a buck tag for your property only.

Vermin93

lightsareout":3gzkwrdu said:

With the new rule, TN now aligns with most adjacent states. KY, VA, NC, GA, AL and MS all have similar definitions.

WRbowhunter

I have had 3 instances while bow hunting this year that I thought I had a doe coming in. Each time it was alone and I started to watch it closely . The more I watched the more something told me it was a buck. Each time I had to wait until the deer was almost under me to figure out it was a button buck. In 2 of the cases once it was directly under me I could see white specs on the nubs I assume were the horn barely breaking through. I guess the law works as in the past maybe I would have released an arrow. For those that like those young tender does its just not worth it taking a shot especially later in the year when your tagged out on bucks and want a shoot a doe for the freezer.

Mike Belt

I haven't heard of anyone I know shooting one of those "contradictory" bucks yet but I suspect it'll happen before it's all over. All I can advise anyone is that if you're buck hunting you probably won't make any mistakes. If you see antler and want to shoot that buck then shoot away. If you're doe hunting you need to take a good look before shooting. That's what the new regulation was designed to do; make you take a good look BEFORE shooting.

TNDeerGuy

I've already walked up on two of these little bucks, laying there wasted, one clearly dumped and one just in the woods. Both had maybe ½" of hard antler. The one dumped may have been checked out, as it had been partially deboned, but the one in the woods, I'll bet wasn't because it just had the backstraps cut out. Just as predicted by many.

Winchester

This new law will definitely get some small bucks wasted, but I think it will save some as well.

Latest posts