Eastern public land

jb357

Between work, life, and everything else I'm not able to hunt my usual private lands on the west end of the state this year and unless my luck with door knocking turns around I'm going to have to venture out onto public.
I've never hunted public land on this end of the state so I don't know where to begin. I'm looking for an area within an hour or 2 to Knoxville.
I know of north cumberland and all of its sections but from looking at maps there's not much area that hasn't been overrun by atv's. I've considered big south fork. I know it's tough hunting but I'm not a stranger tough terrain or afraid to cover ground.
Cove creek wma is pretty close to home, looks like rough terrain and the potential to be covered with people.
My Roosevelt seems like similar conditions to Cove Creek.

Any of these places or others I'm missing worth the effort? I'll be focusing in December when hopefully the opening weekend heros are long gone.

Thanks

mbader5

Moved here from Upstate NY this summer. Can't be much help re: other areas. Have done the same as you and have been to north cumberland a couple of times. Definitely more rugged than parts of the Catskills. ATV's have been in full force - I sit there wondering if I made a mistake but I assume the deer are used to it. I'm just trying to find areas where I can be alone. Archery pressure here was nothing like NY, definitely fewer deer hunters. I s/w a TWRA contact and he suggested Foothills to get away from people.

killingtime 41

Moved here from Upstate NY this summer. Can't be much help re: other areas. Have done the same as you and have been to north cumberland a couple of times. Definitely more rugged than parts of the Catskills. ATV's have been in full force - I sit there wondering if I made a mistake but I assume the deer are used to it. I'm just trying to find areas where I can be alone. Archery pressure here was nothing like NY, definitely fewer deer hunters. I s/w a TWRA contact and he suggested Foothills to get away from people.
And lucky for you very low deer density. And tons of 4 wheelers and people. To bad you didn't move to Florida. But it's starting to look like FL around here anymore with all the New York and New Jersey people here

JT262

north Cumberland is a good place to hunt check out the deer number kills from past years. you can find it in the hunter toolbox on the TWRA site. A lot of land so you'll have to scout hard some really good bucks but they are hard to come by. If you want to test your skills try it out. Read the topo maps or onx they can help pinpoint places to look. most of the time you'll find them in isolated areas when you find them it can be really good. Good luck hope this is helpful.

mbader5

north Cumberland is a good place to hunt check out the deer number kills from past years. you can find it in the hunter toolbox on the TWRA site. A lot of land so you'll have to scout hard some really good bucks but they are hard to come by. If you want to test your skills try it out. Read the topo maps or onx they can help pinpoint places to look. most of the time you'll find them in isolated areas when you find them it can be really good. Good luck hope this is helpful.
Super helpful but even more encouraging. I know it will take a lot of hard work, probably be in there this spring scouting as much as I can. In a way, I see it as good prep for out if state and western hunts. Been studying topo maps every day for three weeks.

JeepKuntry

Cove Creek used to be great for bow season. Unless something has changed from ML opener to mid December it's hunted hard. Don't overlook TVA land!

Mattt

I'll tell ya, atvs not withstanding there is more than plenty of ground in royal blue that doesn't get touched. May hear some traffic but hu ting is good. I've hunted turkeys next to a beaver pond and watched woodies bomb the swamp as I'm helping to big toms. If I did t have my own public that's where I'd b

Mattt

Edit should b yelping and my own private . Son and I get done building we will be back there camping/hunting. Really gets overlooked I think

mbader5

Edit should b yelping and my own private . Son and I get done building we will be back there camping/hunting. Really gets overlooked I think
Planning on doing some backpack camping in there for fun. Almost seems necessary if I want to turkey hunt with my daughter..too far for her to walk in the dark.

ColeManRN

My buddy and I are both from Alabama. He's been a chattanooga native for a year now, and we're looking at doing a couple overnight backcountry hunts on some public or WMA land this season. Im an experienced backpacker on the Appalachian trail and I think I can lead us alright. Got some mild whitetail deer hunting experience as a kid but not enough to be a confident hunter. My question is- what the hell do we do and where the hell do we start?

mbader5

See JT262s advice above. Learn what to look for on topo maps and use those areas as starting points. If you have time, scout those areas and look for the right sign (beds, community scrapes, etc). Plan your access based on what you see, pick a tree in advance if you can and understand wind and thermals in hill country. I've been really into the East Meets West podcast lately hosted by Beau Martonik. Dan Infalt (i.e. The Hunting Beast) or The Hunting Public (on YouTube) would be two more to pay attention to.

ColeManRN

See JT262s advice above. Learn what to look for on topo maps and use those areas as starting points. If you have time, scout those areas and look for the right sign (beds, community scrapes, etc). Plan your access based on what you see, pick a tree in advance if you can and understand wind and thermals in hill country. I've been really into the East Meets West podcast lately hosted by Beau Martonik. Dan Infalt (i.e. The Hunting Beast) or The Hunting Public (on YouTube) would be two more to pay attention to.
Thanks. The Hunting Public is so great.

Latest posts