E-Bike

Crosshairy

I took some foam pipe insulation and duct-taped it around one of the handlebars of my deer cart for padding. I then used a ratchet strap to lash it (I used a clove hitch, if you are a knots person) to the back frame of my bike.

It's definitely not as good as some of the connections I've seen from more talented individuals with fabrication skills, but it works really well in pulling the cart in mostly straight lines across long distances (think logging roads and such).

fairchaser

I've been using one for 7 years and can't really hunt without one now. They are more reliable than a 4 wheeler but do require maintenance. If you're not handy, it could be costly running to a bike shop to change a tire tube or chain. They aren't terribly complicated if you know the basics. In six years I've changed or replaced almost everything including the motor. Keep them dry and clean and on the logging roads and they last a lot longer. Trust me.

bbuck14

After all my research, and much of the info came from this post, I bought an M2S, 750w, hub drive, 19,2 aH. It arrived in a few days. M2S is based in Asheville. The Himiway, Radbike, and Aventure were also in the running.

From what I could tell, they (midrange $1500-$2000) are all very similar. Baofang motor, hub drive, Shimano derailers, and 160-180mm disc brakes. The lower end of that price range has mechanical brakes and lower end Shimanos, and no fenders or racks. The upper end of that price range gets hydraulic brakes, higher end Shimanos, fenders, and a rack.

It took less than an hour to assemble, and the battery was charged enough I could take it out for a few miles. There are some very steep hills in my neighborhood so I tested the bike's capability to climb them. I'm about 180 pounds and the bike needed some pedal assist from me, not much though. Some comments I read said if you were expecting these to be like a dirt bike, you'd be disappointed. Based on that, it was what I expected.

I rode several miles, changing gears, testing different pedal assist modes, and just getting a good feel for the bike. I haven't had it on gravel roads or trails yet, but based on the online videos, it should do fine.

Can't wait to get it out and check my mountain trail cams. Based on the several miles I rode it, I think it's gonna be the ticket!
One of the first things I did was intentially break the handle off that dang bell. With gloves on you'll hit that dang bell and it's pretty loud when it's quiet. Bell not really needed in the hunting world to me. I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I have.

JCDEERMAN

I've been using one for 7 years and can't really hunt without one now. They are more reliable than a 4 wheeler but do require maintenance. If you're not handy, it could be costly running to a bike shop to change a tire tube or chain. They aren't terribly complicated if you know the basics. In six years I've changed or replaced almost everything including the motor. Keep them dry and clean and on the logging roads and they last a lot longer. Trust me.
Which one do you have fairchaser?

jlanecr500

I bought a used fat bike off marketplace for $300, a spring front fork for $80, hydraulic disc brakes for $80, a Bafang BBSHD mid drive kit for $1300. I am still less than 2k. I plan on adding a geared rear hub but they are nowhere to be found right now. First gear is 42/34 at the moment.
If I change the hub to a cassette hub, I can rearrange the sprockets and drop the front 42 to as little as 28 for a super low first gear but honestly it doesn't need to be that low. I've been riding mountainous mountain bike trails taking my dogs squirrel hunting and it has done a wonderful job. Currently weight 72 pounds

Attachments

• 20220105_120834.jpg
    20220105_120834.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220105_120856.jpg
    20220105_120856.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220105_120802.jpg
    20220105_120802.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220105_120821.jpg
    20220105_120821.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220105_120748.jpg
    20220105_120748.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Tanelson43

Remember, e-bikes are not non-motorized vehicles and should not be used on roads which are closed to them.
Actually there are not specific state laws and each wma or park have their own rules. Most of the laws or rules I have found say that if it has 750 watts or less it is viewed as a regular mountain bike. It is best to check the regulations wherever you intend to use it on.

41Magnum

Been contemplating one as well. The Forest Service closes the road where we drive in the middle of Dec. and it's a looonnng walk to where we hunt. An E-Bike would solve a lot of problems for me. Been looking at Rambo and Bakcou. They ain't cheap!

morgancountry

I bought a used fat bike off marketplace for $300, a spring front fork for $80, hydraulic disc brakes for $80, a Bafang BBSHD mid drive kit for $1300. I am still less than 2k. I plan on adding a geared rear hub but they are nowhere to be found right now. First gear is 42/34 at the moment.
If I change the hub to a cassette hub, I can rearrange the sprockets and drop the front 42 to as little as 28 for a super low first gear but honestly it doesn't need to be that low. I've been riding mountainous mountain bike trails taking my dogs squirrel hunting and it has done a wonderful job.
How much does that weigh? I love how light my regular mountain bike is but fat tire and disc breaks would be nice if not too much added weight

jlanecr500

How much does that weigh? I love how light my regular mountain bike is but fat tire and disc breaks would be nice if not too much added weight
I'll weigh it when I get a chance. I can tell you that there is no comparing the smoothness of a fat tire bike vs a standard tire. Furthermore, most fatbikes have a longer wheelbase which also enhances ride quality.

PalsPal

Actually there are not specific state laws and each wma or park have their own rules. Most of the laws or rules I have found say that if it has 750 watts or less it is viewed as a regular mountain bike. It is best to check the regulations wherever you intend to use it on.

^^THIS^^

The WMAs around me have signs on certain roads/trails that say "Foot traffic only". They don't even want mountain bikes on them.

fairchaser

Been contemplating one as well. The Forest Service closes the road where we drive in the middle of Dec. and it's a looonnng walk to where we hunt. An E-Bike would solve a lot of problems for me. Been looking at Rambo and Bakcou. They ain't cheap!
They were high when I bought mine about $2000. Now they are much higher. So, I spend whatever it takes to keep mine running.

13pt

I have a Bakcou and can say it's a beast! Yes, it is expensive…but, like anything else you get what you pay for, and most will opt for cheaper…they have more problems, and I don't have time to deal with problems during deer season. You miss one hunt because your eBike is down and it could be the morning that shooter visits your stand. Not that all new eBikes aren't reliable, but how long will it be before you have issues. Bakcou is designed and built by hunters. I have the Bakcou Storm and zero regrets about spending the extra. Whatever your choice, best of luck!

Latest posts