Electric Bikes on WMA

Atchman2

If twra gives out handicap permits for atvs, they should allow non handicap permits for e bikes, sorry I'm not leaving mine in plain sight on public land.
Good point. I have MS and simply cannot walk a long way due to my disability. It isn't that I don't want to walk far, it is just that I can't. A lot of the times I can get to where I am walking propelled by adrenaline and when I get there I can't get back. I do have to admit it isn't as bad in the late fall and winter. Heat is the killer for me.

Plus I have a tendency to carry too much junk. That is a personal problem. :D

useyourbow

If twra gives out handicap permits for atvs, they should allow non handicap permits for e bikes, sorry I'm not leaving mine in plain sight on public land.
I like the idea of a permit. I am 61 now and the years of athletics has taken a toll on my knees. I have never been the guy that hunted hundred 100 yards from the road but it's getting harder and harder to walk that mile or two back on management land. In my previous state of residence e-bikes with pedal assist were allowed and that's why I bought one.

Joe2Kool

They are fine for trails accessible to motorized vehicles. Gave mine a test run on North Cumberland. GW checked to make sure I had my permits/license. Prior to the Oak Ridge turkey quota hunt this year, I went by the checking station and asked about riding one, and transporting a shotgun. All good, as long as I was on the gravel roads.

killingtime 41

I thought about buying one but a hub motor would be garbage in the mountains especially at 750 watts. Even a mid drive at 750 watts in the mountains would be tough. I can see it valuable where's there's 300 thousand acres. And if I can only stay on roads that a vehicle has to stay on. Then I'm driving my truck since I drove it there to begin with.

jlanecr500

I built my mid drive ebike. It is a single speed that tops out around 12mph. Of course, it will do that speed on trails and even up hill. With no/limited suspension, an ebike is rather useless on rutted, rocky terrain, or where there is no trail in the woods. I've used mine on one wma and a local week long hunt with no issues. I'm not looking for trouble but I'm also not trying to find reasons not to use it.

Carlos

Twra doesn't give permits for handicap use of 4 wheelers.

Lt.Dan

Good point. I have MS and simply cannot walk a long way due to my disability. It isn't that I don't want to walk far, it is just that I can't. A lot of the times I can get to where I am walking propelled by adrenaline and when I get there I can't get back. I do have to admit it isn't as bad in the late fall and winter. Heat is the killer for me.

Plus I have a tendency to carry too much junk. That is a personal problem. :D
I feel your pain. I have different health issues and I am finding it harder and harder to walk that mile into the woods. Let alone dragging the deer out. I'm thinking about giving up hunting public land and just going to the high fence game farms. It's not that I don't want to do the work, it's that it's going to kill me one of these days. Then everyone can say "At least he died doing what he loved."

varminthunter

I have had and been using an eBike for the past 10 years on WMA's and National Parks. Wardens and rangers that I have asked about access using it have all told me pretty much the same thing. You can take your bike on any trail as long as the trail isn't marked for Foot Traffic only. I have been told this on places such as Oak Ridge and President Island.

On Federal land it was told to me that as long as the bike was 750 watts or less it isn't considered a motorized vehicle.

I have health conditions which caused me to use a ebike for access, without mine I would have had to just about stopped hunting, so I would suggest that before anyone dogs someone for using one they might consider that circumstances may exist that they need one to continue to be active in the outdoors.

killingtime 41

I've seriously looked into getting a mid drive. Or buying a kit mid drive from bafang 750watt and converting a mountain bike. It's a much cheaper way to do it. But work has to be done. Not just a buy and fly deal

Latest posts