Dutch oven

AllOutdoors

TnBob":27xrme13 said:
Im about to buy a dutch oven. What size would you buy? Im thinking I want the Lodge 12" 8 quart. It is deeper than the 12" 6 quart. What accessories do you use?
Go with the 8 quart.

TnBob

Thanks. Got the 8 quart Lodge. Got it at Gander Mountain in Hickson. Had a gift card for 40 bucks and cash that my aunt put in my birthday card. Wound up shelling out a whole $2.70 out of pocket! Just need a chance to start cookin now! What do yall use yours for most? :drool:

moondawg

TnBob":rq5r1ruv said:
Thanks. Got the 8 quart Lodge. Got it at Gander Mountain in Hickson. Had a gift card for 40 bucks and cash that my aunt put in my birthday card. Wound up shelling out a whole $2.70 out of pocket! Just need a chance to start cookin now! What do yall use yours for most? :drool:

I mostly make some sort of bread in mine...mainly biscuits or cornbread. I've also made deserts like cobbler or cookies.

Get some dutch oven liners. It's like a coffee filter type material you can put in the dutch oven. Then you put whatever ingredients you are going to cook on top of the liner. When you're done cooking, just pull out the liner and throw it away. There's very little to no cleanup needed for the dutch oven if you use a liner.

shane37110

Doesn't matter what size you start out with, you will soon realize you need them all! A good set of channel lock pliers makes a good lid lifter, a set to tongs for moving coals around is handy. A fireplace shovel and a small wisk broom for cleaning ash off the lid when going from the fire to the table will be handy too.

jakeway

shane37110":301xid10 said:
Doesn't matter what size you start out with, you will soon realize you need them all!....

Ain't that the truth! I got my first one just about a year ago: Camp Chef Deep 12" Delux. Since then I got a 10" Lodge, an 8" Lodge, a 5 Qt Lodge with smooth bottom and dome lid ( for stews and chili with tripod) and finally a Camp Chef 5" 3/4 quart mini-DO. I use the 12" the least, but I'm usually only cooking for 1 to 4 people. I use the mini one for breakfast about every other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOCimMQw7I

AllOutdoors

TnBob":3elkyxhc said:
Open a whole chicken (Spatchcock) on some long grain wild rice. Add some onion, potatoes, and carrots.