Dutch oven supper tonight….👍

Smo

Taters,onion,cabbage & Cajun sausage seasoned with a generous amount of Old Bay….Yummy!

D80C1563-D68F-47DA-817C-B2E842543389.jpeg

7FF28B77-FA56-4DB9-AA4D-9CCEC933913D.jpeg

Shag

Looks great! I've got 3 Dutch ovens. Haven't used them in awhile. May have to break out the medium size one this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

DoubleRidge

whats the paper for?

Not answering for Smo....but sometimes a buddy of mine lines his dutch oven with foil for easy clean up when cooking cobblers.....I just cook straight in the oven and when done I'll heat water in them, scrape any residue with wood or plastic scraper, dry them out good then warm them up and oil them good with canola oil... When storing them for extended periods I'll keep the lid cracked to allow air flow....they don't get stale smelling with lid cracked...hard to beat campfire cooking with some good cast iron.

Smo

whats the paper for?
Double Ridge is correct, a paper towel is all that's needed too clean up… usually.

I try too avoid scraping the finish if at all possible..

If using parchment paper, make sure all the paper is inside the lid..🥴
It will burn!

My skillet I use over the fire, normally I just heat water in it then wipe dry and apply lard or Crisco..

TAFKAP

Our Scout troop made cobblers a couple weeks ago, and one of the kids forgot to butter the bottom. We ate everything we could, and burned out the scorched Dutch oven in the fire. Boiled water in it, scraped with a plastic scraper, and oiled it down.

I stole that Dutch oven this weekend to fry chicken in it, and you'd never know it had ever scorched a bunch of cobbler.

DoubleRidge

Our Scout troop made cobblers a couple weeks ago, and one of the kids forgot to butter the bottom. We ate everything we could, and burned out the scorched Dutch oven in the fire. Boiled water in it, scraped with a plastic scraper, and oiled it down.

I stole that Dutch oven this weekend to fry chicken in it, and you'd never know it had ever scorched a bunch of cobbler.

Normally don't have much issue with Peach or Apple cobbler scorching on the bottom......but Cherry I've scorched multiple times in years past and it a mess to clean up.....and butter does help but with Cherry once it's bubbling good I'll take it off or at least reduce bottom heat early and keep top heat going....since doing it this way it's been much better...(adding half can of water to cherry pie filling to thin it some helps as well).....love some dutch oven campfire cobbler.

Latest posts