Dutch Oven Cooking!! Anyone Do It???

280longshot

Sold my ML and bought me 2 different size dutch ovens for camping.
I've been wanting to do this for some time, just needed the time and money!!

Thought I would start here for some favorite recipes.

Something for breakfast and probably something for dinner for starters.

DntBrnDPig

Those shanks look amazing.

My Dad makes the best peach cobbler in them. I've got my Grandpa's old collection but they need to be cleaned up.

Brisco Darlin

looks good poser. i use all cast iron when we go camping. I have one of the dutch ovens and iron tripods to hang over the fire.
Here's what i like to do and planning to do this weekend.
Get a good hot fire and get a good bed of coals.
Add some oil and throw a deer roast in and sear it on all sides , then add in taters, carrots, celery, onion, peppers and canned tomatoes. i also add some cream of mushroom soup and let it cook for a couple of hours until the bone easily comes out of the meat. I also make biscuits in the dutch oven.
man i'm hungry now.

BamaProud

Mac-N-Cheese:
1 cup panko
1 (4-ounce) package thinly sliced prosciutto
1 (16-ounce) package penne or cavatappi pasta
1⁄2 cup butter
1 shallot, minced
1⁄4 cup dry white wine
1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 bay leaf
1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda
1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake breadcrumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, stirring once after 2 1⁄2 minutes.

Cook prosciutto, in batches, in a lightly greased large skillet over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble.

Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add shallots and saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven, and cook 1 minute.

Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and next 4 ingredients; cook, whisking constantly, 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Place 4 cups Cheddar cheese in a large heatproof bowl; reserve remaining Cheddar cheese for another use. Add Gouda and Parmesan cheeses to bowl.

Gradually pour white sauce over cheeses, whisking until cheeses melt and sauce is smooth.

Stir in pasta and prosciutto until blended. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately.

Don�t use pre-shredded cheese; it doesn�t melt as smoothly. You can shred the cheese and crisp the prosciutto up to one day ahead and chill. You can also toast the breadcrumbs ahead and store them in a zip-top plastic bag.

infoman jr.

Infoman left me an impressive collection of cast iron by most people's standards. He often traveled to WITO events and put on a cooking class mainly using cast iron. I need to dig up the recipe book he put together.

Pintail

Here's one that seems to be a hit with my bunch

6 pork chops; center cut, bone in 1 (20 oz.) can sliced peaches
salt and pepper to taste
1 box stove top stuffing for pork 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
4 Tbs. butter; melted 1 Tbs. dry minced onion
1 1/4 cups hot water

To a 12" Dutch oven add stuffing mix (including seasoning packet), butter, hot water and juice from canned peaches; stir to mix then spread evenly. Season pork chops with salt and pepper and arrange over top of stuffing. In a small bowl mix together preserves, mustard and minced onion. Spoon preserve mixture over top of chops and spread to coat. Arrange sliced peaches over the top.

Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 16-18 briquettes top for 60 minutes.