Dutch Oven Bread

Nimrod777

My lovely Trophy Doe has been researching new bread recipes. She found a couple that use a Dutch Oven (thanks to a big assist from TennesseeRains, I have an awfully nice one on hand!).

This is the second such recipe we've tried. Cheddar Cheese Bread! The only thing the picture is missing is the faint sizzling sound of the hot cheddar. Ah, they're playin my song!

Picture001.jpg

Nimrod777

She's been looking through some bread books that call for less yeast, longer rise times (one is up to 18 hours!), and a few other things that are different from our norm. We both like the idea of using heartier and whole grains if possible. At this point we're still on the search for the recipe that is really The One. As good as this cheese bread looks, the taste was fairly bland. We're moving on, sad to say, but when we find It, I'll let you know.

Her momma's yeast crescent roll recipe still reigns in our house, but it's a 4-5 hour process, all said and done. That's what keeps it relegated to special occasions.

richmanbarbeque

Nimrod, I have been trying a few different breads like that myself. If interested let me know and I can get you recipes or the magazine name I got them from. I will post a pic and name of the bread I did later.

Nimrod777

Rich, if you've had good luck, I'd love to know what recipes you're finding. We started with Mother Earth News, followed recommendations there to a bread book called Bread In 5 Minutes a Day, and My Bread: Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Bread by Jim Lahaye.

My bride has tried two bread machine recipes and two slow-rise recipes, the cheese bread included, but the breads we've had just don't have the flavor we're expecting or wanting. Been kind of disappointing.

richmanbarbeque

Keith, get the newest copy of grit magazine. I believe it is from mothers earth. That is where I got the recipes I'm using. I recently tried cardamom cherry bread. Very good. They have several good recipes I think you'll like.

FULLDRAWXX75

richmanbarbeque said:
Keith, get the newest copy of grit magazine. I believe it is from mothers earth. That is where I got the recipes I'm using. I recently tried cardamom cherry bread. Very good. They have several good recipes I think you'll like.

Come on fellers, post them puppies.............

We want bread, we want bread............LOL

FDXX75

Nimrod777

Have mercy, my Gramma used to get Grit! I think I have seen it advertised in Mother Earth News, come to think of it. Shocked it is still going!