White beans and skillet bread

gasman

I have been wanting some white beans and skillet bread for a while now, so this morning I put beans in crock pot and the pork seasoning meat, gonna let it cook on low all day. My mouth was watering all day long. Get home expecting to smell them just as soon as I walked in the door... Nothing... Walked into the kitchen, looked at the crock pot and the lid was off. :bash: :bash: white beans do not cook in a crock pot if the lid is left off. :bash: Oh well, late dinner. Put the beans in a pot to boil on stove and made my skillet bread. The lady friend made some jalapeno poppers also. Everything was delicious. :party:

DaveB

Every Thursday for about 15 years that was dinner. Mostly Mom burned the cornbread so it was white bread and landolakes butter with big thick slice of onion.

Sure looks delectable.

mike243

Looks great, been wanting some white beans and cornbread, my granny had a pot of white beans on the table 2 times a day, they never ran out as grandpa would start a new batch. they would have lived a lot longer if they hadn't throwed in lard or fatback in for seasoning ,

GMB54

I luvs me some beans. Ive been using a lot of Peruano beans lately in place of Great Whites. They are also know as Mexican yellow beans or canary beans. They cook up close to white and have a more buttery texture/flavor than great whites. Just great in classic ham and beans too.

In trying to reduce sodium a tad i use a little less cured meat and replace it with meater cuts of pork belly. Leave the skin on too. Its a tiny bit of extra work prepping the pork belly but turns out great.

waynesworld

GMB54":3fa3964a said:
I luvs me some beans. Ive been using a lot of Peruano beans lately in place of Great Whites. They are also know as Mexican yellow beans or canary beans. They cook up close to white and have a more buttery texture/flavor than great whites. Just great in classic ham and beans too.

In trying to reduce sodium a tad i use a little less cured meat and replace it with meater cuts of pork belly. Leave the skin on too. Its a tiny bit of extra work prepping the pork belly but turns out great.

Reduce sodium? I think that language should be banned and he needs a time out :smash:

brassmagnet

waynesworld":34ha236n said:
GMB54":34ha236n said:

Reduce sodium? I think that language should be banned and he needs a time out :smash:

My doctor told me I need to salt everything I eat with plain Morton white salt until I can taste salt, low sodium levels. I love that woman and I don't get dizzy headed anymore.

GMB54

Yeah, as an adult im quite capable of salting/seasoning my own food. Some things however are just high in sodium like ham and sausages. So ham and beans wont ever be a low sodium dish but you can certainly make it LOWER sodium and it still tastes great.

Pork, a little smoked sausage for seasoning and kale.
6MxU4pa.jpg

Celery, onion, carrot with ham and pork. I think i used a huge ham bone in this batch.
Fv0MtVH.jpg

redblood

GMB54 said:
Yeah, as an adult im quite capable of salting/seasoning my own food. Some things however are just high in sodium like ham and sausages. So ham and beans wont ever be a low sodium dish but you can certainly make it LOWER sodium and it still tastes great.

Pork, a little smoked sausage for seasoning and kale.
6MxU4pa.jpg

Celery, onion, carrot with ham and pork. I think i used a huge ham bone in this batch.
Fv0MtVH.jpg
[/quote

Man, that looks great

Latest posts