Duck cooking

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Are there any relatively simple recipies out there for cooking a whole duck?
I'm not gonna spend a week letting it soak or whatever.

Is there anything that you can say, kill & pluck a duck and then cook it that day or possibly the next day that doesn't require a PHD in cooking and $15,000 worth of pots and pans?

I always just breast ducks out and cook them.
I would like to try one whole this year.

gtk

Staff member
best duck i ever ate was killed 3 hours before eating it.. it was several woodies that we plucked the feathers and cut the breast out leaving the skin on.. heated a cast iron skillet really hot with a dash of oil, salt & peppered the duck breast, and cooked it to a medium rare.. awesome eating ! i think the fat in the skin made it taste so good !

DaveB

True Story.

Guy I hunted with got a new girlfriend after his wife left him because he hunted ducks more than he hunted her (for real that was in her divorce papers).

Anyway the new girlfriend cut off JUST the duck's webbed feet and roasted the poor duck like it was a chicken. Even tied the legs together.

It did not taste good. and it looked awful.

I felt bad for the poor duck.

John3

As far as simple goes; rub the duck with olive oil salt and pepper. Slice several onions. Lay onions on the bottom of a pan and drizzle with olive oil and cut a few pats of butter on them. Stuff a couple onion slices and some garlic inside the duck and lay it on top of the bed of onions. Bake it in the oven 375 for an hour & 1/2. It's not blow you away great but a really good simple meal.

I will be trying the one poser posted soon.

TAFKAP

I haven't done a whole-roasted duck before that I like. The legs and thighs are tough. I'll pluck them, remove the skin-on breasts from the carcass, confit the legs & thighs, and turn the carcass into stock.

Latest posts