Drawbacks to buying an older tracker or alumacraft?

Laserman1

Kinda wanting a small bass boat. Don't want to spend more than about $6000 because with a new higher priced boat I don't want to feel obligated to go every weekend to justify the purchase of the boat and the storage parking fee. Can't have it at my house because of hoa rules Wife approved of boat as long as we don't have to go every weekend like we did with last boat.

TNCharlie

Don't know if you use youtube but there is a ton of videos about jon boats. It is amazing the modifications people have come up with to make a jon boat into what they want. This is mostly DYI stuff so you can do it at your leisure and at the rate you want to spend money - but actually most of the stuff is relatively cheap if not free (free meaning using stuff you already have laying around). Just search for "Jon Boat DYI's" or something similar. You will get more returns than you can ever watch. 😁

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
A few years ago I bought a used Lowe 17se at a "bargain" price. I was happy that I wouldn't feel bad about not getting it out often because it was low cost. On the flip side, now it needs some work and I don't want to spend more than I gave for it in repairs and upkeep. Especially since it doesn't get much use.
But I will because I don't want a new boat or the cost of one.

BigCityBubba

$6000 ought to get you a pretty decent little boat. The drawbacks are that the motor will be over 20 years old, there maybe soft spots in the floor that may need to be fixed, and the wiring may need to be replaced. None of which are hard things to do but require time and not a whole lot of money.

redblood

Kinda wanting a small bass boat. Don't want to spend more than about $6000 because with a new higher priced boat I don't want to feel obligated to go every weekend to justify the purchase of the boat and the storage parking fee. Can't have it at my house because of hoa rules Wife approved of boat as long as we don't have to go every weekend like we did with last boat.

So your neighbors basically decide what you can own? Thats crazy….id move tomorrow. As far as the boat, you should be able to find a fairly nice aluminum boat for that. You may want to go a brand that dont use wood - like g3 or lowe. Trackers use wood. Best of luck.

redblood

Don't know if you use youtube but there is a ton of videos about jon boats. It is amazing the modifications people have come up with to make a jon boat into what they want. This is mostly DYI stuff so you can do it at your leisure and at the rate you want to spend money - but actually most of the stuff is relatively cheap if not free (free meaning using stuff you already have laying around). Just search for "Jon Boat DYI's" or something similar. You will get more returns than you can ever watch. 😁
Indeed, some very entertaining stuff out there

redblood

If you go up to the 9-10k range, you can a virtually brand new small 4 stroke tracker. Usually people buy em, never use em and lose their azz the next yr. Their loss is your gain.

Laserman1

So your neighbors basically decide what you can own? Thats crazy….id move tomorrow. As far as the boat, you should be able to find a fairly nice aluminum boat for that. You may want to go a brand that dont use wood - like g3 or lowe. Trackers use wood. Best of luck.
They don't decide what you can own. They decide what kind of crap you can park in your yard. I actually agree. I don't want a rv, 2 atv's, a boat, an inflatable pool, or jacked up car being worked on in the front yard. These are all things I see in one yard I pass going to work. I has to fit in your garage and I'm not parking my Toyota outside so my boat will fit.

Laserman1

If you go up to the 9-10k range, you can a virtually brand new small 4 stroke tracker. Usually people buy em, never use em and lose their azz the next yr. Their loss is your gain.
You are correct. I've raised up my budget because I found a lot of new looking boats in that range. One guy wanted $15,000 for a 2015 tracker. I can get a brand new one for $17,000.

redblood

You are correct. I've raised up my budget because I found a lot of new looking boats in that range. One guy wanted $15,000 for a 2015 tracker. I can get a brand new one for $17,000.
you run into that. they think they can get their purchase price and tax back and say- "thats what i have in it" lol, if i was going to pay new price, id get a new boat. i found a mint 2022 tracker xl for 9500.00 last spring. he even added a garmin 9' on front for livescope (he never bought the livescope unit. it was black with a 2 ft scratch where he rubbed the dock. 60 mercury. great deal- just wanted a yammy

MickThompson

I bought a 10 year old all welded 16' with a barely used 4 stroke 40 a few years ago for not much more than that. Added an aluminum floor, carpet, electronics, etc, and have a nearly new rig just the way I want it. Keep an eye out. There still are deals to be found.

Chiflyguy

I bought a 2009 G3 V167 with a 40 Yamaha 4 stroke, 2 graphs and a trailer for $8200 last year.
I get 27 mph out of it.
IMG_8078.jpeg

Big Pop

I had an '84 model Bass Tracker that some of the keel rivets lost their hold. Had to completely take the floor and live well out to replace them. If my brother and I hadn't done it it would not have been feasible to pay someone to do it. Check that out if it's not welded hull.

Last edited:

BigCityBubba

These probably gone but great deals. You have to have a facebook account to see them

Latest posts