To tarp or not to tarp

M T Pockets 000

That is my ¿¿¿¿. My buddy and I took my boat out a couple of weekends ago. We launched on the Clinch and used the trolling motor to go up stream and float back to the launch. The 50 hp Johnson wouldn't run. We tore into and discovered the coil pack are corroded. Now for my question. Have I caused this corrosion by putting the motor under the tarp. The boat sits in a field and is tarped especially during the winter. So what say ye¿?¿?

BigCityBubba

I have never heard of keeping a boat under a tarp causing this and I have been around boats my whole life. Thats not to say it is not possible and has not happened. If I did not have a building to keep my boats in, I covered them with tarps including the motor. I have never had any issues. The worst thing you can do to a boat is leave it outside and uncovered. You can turn a $30k boat into a $5k boat in a few years by leaving it uncovered. I have never understood how anyone could spend that kind of money on a boat and leave it uncovered. There is someone not to far from my house who keeps their nitro z7 in their driveway uncovered. It makes me ill everytime I see it.

WTM

i doubt it, but probably not impossible if you wrapped in a plastic tarp and used auto grade connectors. a lot of corrosion problems come from not using the correct marine grade connector. a lot of folks use auto grade connectors, even boat manufacturers to cut costs. that goes for wire as well. the only wire that is as corrosion resistant as tinned marine grade wire is THHN.

Latest posts