If you where going to design the boathouse…

Pilchard

Lockable tackle/rod storage

Live bait tank…. I never had this but always wished I did for crabs and shrimp. I used a bait pen but the sheepshead would eat any leg, claw or piece of the crab that was sticking out of the pen.

Enough space so the wimmins could sit and relax without getting sprayed while the men are cleaning the boat.

Stainless fillet table

Enough underwater lights to make it look like an aquarium when the sun goes down. No better place to have a night cap than watching your pet fish swim around.

Ice machine

Fridge/feeezer

Are you starting from scratch or is there already a dock and a lift?

7mm08

Starting from scratch. Architect came over yesterday to tie into the house. So boat and trailer. Thinking 12-14 ft high, 32-34 ft inside length, but those numbers are fluid. It will be built on pilings.

I have a 20 ft Center Console, no T top, but I plan on building it big enough to hold a 22-24 footer with T -top for resale one day if we ever move off the island or eventually when they toss my ashes into the Atlantic.

Thanks for input.

Something along these lines but not final as will require one door to be larger get a boat in.
1695478762632.jpeg

Last edited:

BigCityBubba

You are talking garage, not boathouse. I was thinking the same thing as pilchard which to me is essentially a garage on water like they have on Lake Guntersville. I would have added to his list that it have garage doors and boat lifts. As for a garage make sure its long enough and the doors are tall enough. 10 foot roll doors. For a 24 footer, you probably want it close to if not more than 30 feet deep. Add a couple feet for the motor and a couple feet for the tongue as well as room to walk around it. To make it truly awesome, make it a drive through. To make it even more awesome make it drive through and deep enough for both your vehicle and your boat. Make it wide enough that you can put benches and have space to walk between benches and boat. Hang rod racks on the walls and have plenty of shelving for you fishing gear and boat gear.

7mm08

Then add a foot or two for when you decide you need a bigger boat 😎
Thanks. I did. I measured up to 24' boats and one day I figured someone will want a boat garage on an island. Ha!

Right now there is a 50 boat waiting list to get into the marina covered or uncovered lot. Someone will want it if we decide to ever move.

Latest posts