Food Plots Dove sunflower field

Bgoodman30

Planted 5/18 when do y'all think we ought to spray it? Usually hunt it 2nd weekend.

IMG_3262.JPEG
IMG_3263.JPEG

IMG_3261.JPEG

Bgoodman30

Plenty of weeds.
When back of heads change colors you can spray
Yep! When my farm partner told me the cost of the post emergent herbicide we needed per acre I declined! Can't remember the name of the chemical? There is also some browntop mixed in. We usually cut it low with hay cutter and rake/ bail it or light rows on fire. I think I might disk some around perimeter and torch it.

Bgoodman30

Weedy sunflower field update. The sunflowers and millet finally getting close to mature so I sprayed them yesterday with gly. Finches are hitting them hard. Set the fallow section of field on fire and top sowed wheat. Will burn and sow more wheat on rest of fallow section later this week and hopefully burn the rest of field next week. Not many birds around though? We had some about 3 weeks ago but they have moved on.

The one positive to having a thick weedy dove field is we are holding a covey of quail. Its actually quite the quail paradise. I busted the covey last week with about a dozen birds. I can't remember the last time I walked though a wild covey of TN birds.
68287963545__B7B5FFB4-E7D0-4CC7-920B-2456FAB1D13F.JPEG
68287965345__95D62819-94D7-491F-B154-64392577A534.JPEG
IMG_3603.JPEG
IMG_3606.JPEG
We
IMG_3607.JPEG

Boll Weevil

Brother and I were talking about this weekend and I have a question for those who know more about this that myself. Obviously doves will pick seed up off the the ground and I've seen them light on a sunflower head. But will they actually dig seed out of the intact seedhead too? Or feed only if it's on the ground?

We usually just mow strips but thought about knocking some down this year then leaving a bunch standing thinking maybe it would be a longer time to draw birds.

Bgoodman30

Brother and I were talking about this weekend and I have a question for those who know more about this that myself. Obviously doves will pick seed up off the the ground and I've seen them light on a sunflower head. But will they actually dig seed out of the intact seedhead too? Or feed only if it's on the ground?

We usually just mow strips but thought about knocking some down this year then leaving a bunch standing thinking maybe it would be a longer time to draw birds.
They don't pick it out the finches do and the doves get what they drop. Better to get it on the ground then to let the finches eat off the head unless you want to leave some standing for a later shoot.

Bgoodman30

Hope the birds show up and you have a great shoot!

Thanks I am fired up as it will be the first time I have been able to dove hunt in 2 years. I am going to keep working this field until I get it right. Its slap full of bird seed.

Latest posts