Food Plots Dove plot

Tweeter

I have a 1/4 acre on the backside of my property that the creek runs by and I put in like 56 sunflower and then put 10 of of millet on yesterday and then harrow drug it, I hope it makes! I only did it so my 80yo dad and my 74yo uncle can shoot doves with me.

When I bush hog the millet I'll have to burn it before we can hunt it correct?

Mcboom

Not sure if the millet will be ready in time but for sure the sunflowers will not. I plant sunflower the end of April to mid may. Might have to wait till about August and plant some winter wheat for a dove shoot.

JAD

I'm still experimenting with brown top millet, but in prior years, after 60 or 70 days, the seeds were still not fully dried out and falling so the doves can start finding them before 9/1. This year I planted early May and plan to start mowing strips early August.

Bgoodman30

If you just sowed it its basically the same as "planting" cracked corn... Unless you plan on hunting ducks on it neither will make. Your best bet is letting birds eat it, till it in and sow it in wheat. Only wheat is normal ag practice in August and legal to sow for doves..