Food Plots Green field question

tellico4x4

Not sure, maybe they'll move across the road 😂 Haven't noticed our triticale turning but it's all eaten down about lip high.

There's a 20 acre wheat field across highway from my house. Two weeks ago I was thinking that it was some of the best I'd seen this year, today it is yellow...

ADR

Hunted a winter wheat field the other night that had over 30 deer in it. Hasn't slowed em at all. My worry is all the privet in my area is toast. That's usually deer browse that helps them through tough times

megalomaniac

LOL... radishes died back in Nov with the 17 deg temps. This last blast with -3 temps killed the crap outta the turnips.

Still have plenty of wheat and balansa clover (1/2 in tall), the deer are hammering them... well, not just hammering, but it seems I'm pulling every deer from a square mile around them. They are so lucky my son isn't up there right now.

I cut the yellow off several of mine today. (Cereal rye &annual rye. Then fertilized. Hopefully that will stimulate new growth while the temp are up and raining.

My others are like everyone else's, Deer lipping high. Maybe an inch tall. Gonna throw a little 34-0-0 on them and hope

JCDEERMAN

What are planted besides oats? If just oats, I'd say with the temps we've had, they most definitely are yellow. Oats are crippled by cold temps. I like to plant multiple species….rye, wheat, oats, a brassica and a clover. You'll feed deer and other critters most months out of the (hunting) year. Rye and wheat are much more cold tolerant

muddyboots

What are planted besides oats? If just oats, I'd say with the temps we've had, they most definitely are yellow. Oats are crippled by cold temps. I like to plant multiple species….rye, wheat, oats, a brassica and a clover. You'll feed deer and other critters most months out of the (hunting) year. Rye and wheat are much more cold tolerant
They are just wheat, oats and rye. Equal parts. Been seeing lots of deer. Still saw lots rbis afternoon so I guess it don't matter. Just concerned me when a week ago they were bright green.

muddyboots

1st pic was Sunday
Next pic today

Attachments

• 4B1C8E28-EBFE-4F5B-AD76-2DB595E92E5F.jpeg
    4B1C8E28-EBFE-4F5B-AD76-2DB595E92E5F.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 68
  • E5BB7AD7-122C-4AB2-92AB-550A71A76161.jpeg
    E5BB7AD7-122C-4AB2-92AB-550A71A76161.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 66

skipperbrown

Mine are a combo of wheat, oats and clover. After the hard freeze, they looked dead, but have made an amazing comeback in the last week with rain, warm temps, and some sunshine. I had a whole herd of does/yearlings on the plot I was hunting last night.

BSK

Mine are a combo of wheat, oats and clover. After the hard freeze, they looked dead, but have made an amazing comeback in the last week with rain, warm temps, and some sunshine. I had a whole herd of does/yearlings on the plot I was hunting last night.
Deer have been pounding my plots at night recently (wheat, crimson clover, Austrian winter peas).

Latest posts