Double drop rig?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Gonna try something different.
Gonna do a double drop rig with my gulp minnow.
What is your favorite way to rig two baits?

1/64 ounce jig heads.
4# test line

TNLynn

I would use bigger line between the two baits in case you catch 2 at one time. I learned the hard way that it doesn't take very big fish to break 6lb test when hooked 12 inches apart.

TNLynn

if you do use one size line, I would use a small thin wire hook, probably size 8, tied with a polymer knot with about 12" tag end and tie the jighead on the tag end.

bowtechgump

You will want to use a heavier jig head on the bottom if you are going to run heads on both. If not they will become tangled easier and more often. It actually doesn't hurt to leave just the bottom a jig head and the top just a free hook. It will allow the baits to drag more naturally and slower along the pass. I would also run heavier line as the main and attach the #4lb between the hooks if you are worried about finicky fish.

Bgoodman30

You can do a chicken rig. I tie them for B liners and also make them to catch pinfish for bait. 2 dropper loops with a surgeons knot on end with a bank sinker.

Pilchard

You can do a chicken rig. I tie them for B liners and also make them to catch pinfish for bait. 2 dropper loops with a surgeons knot on end with a bank sinker.
Agreed. Consider the chicken rig with a jig head on the bottom instead of a sinker. And a nose hooked gulp minnow on the top bait. Only tie one loop instead of multiple.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Must be fishing Garrett?
Yep.
Sad too, alot of those 9-9 1/2" crappie are obviously stunted and as thick as a normal 12" crappie.
They really need to remove the limit for a year or two.
They say their samplings don't indicate an overpopulation.
Guess that's because they shock during the Winter and never get more than 10' from the bank. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh well, they are fun to catch though. :D
Especially when you can sit in one or two spots and catch over 100.

BigCityBubba

Did they change the rules on Garret recently? Seems like the limit on bass was keep as many as you want with no size limit. Now its 5 with no size limit. Also, has it always required a permit? I may have had a sportsman's license at the time and did not think about it.

redblood

We have been catching all of our crappie on deadfall and shallow structure. And they are usually 11" to 12.5 inches or so. We have had to throw back very few fish that werent legal. I dont think our numbers are crazy high, but there seem to be lots of big fish

Latest posts