Drop Shot and Neko Rig Soft Lure Recs

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Just ordered a ML spinning rod and a reel, along with terminal tackle for drop shot and Neko rigs (well, except the nail weights—still got to pick some up) for finesse fishing.

What soft plastics have you found success on using these methods? How about colors? For drop shot plastics, did you Texas rig the hook or nose-hook?

Spurhunter

Just ordered a ML spinning rod and a reel, along with terminal tackle for drop shot and Neko rigs (well, except the nail weights—still got to pick some up) for finesse fishing.

What soft plastics have you found success on using these methods? How about colors? For drop shot plastics, did you Texas rig the hook or nose-hook?
For Neko I really like the Z-man ZinkerZ. Green pumpkin is always good. Black with red flake. June bug. There probably isn't a bad color for Neko. I don't drop shot much but my son does. He nose hooks a KVD Dream Shot. He's tried all kinds of baits and the Dream Shot is far and away the best according to him.

Hitit9999

I drop shot A LOT but only weightless wacky, hardly no Neko. I catch lots of fish on drop shots. I fish it from 2 feet to 20 feet. Finesse worms. Green pumpkin, june bug and mythylate color. Catch just as many on one color as another. I don't nose hook tho. I use just an offset worm hook in 1/0. Hook just like I do Texas rigging. If you can get around some grass, throw a little swim bait on a drop shot around..and hang on.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I drop shot A LOT but only weightless wacky, hardly no Neko. I catch lots of fish on drop shots. I fish it from 2 feet to 20 feet. Finesse worms. Green pumpkin, june bug and mythylate color. Catch just as many on one color as another. I don't nose hook tho. I use just an offset worm hook in 1/0. Hook just like I do Texas rigging. If you can get around some grass, throw a little swim bait on a drop shot around..and hang on.

1. Do you use those colors in just about any conditions and depths? I confess I have no real experience fishing "garish" colors like methiolate, bubblegum, morning dawn, etc.

2. How about leader length? I'd expect shallow or during the spawn the leader is best shorter to give the appearance of bottom contact. But as grass grows, that leader probably needs to be more like a foot long.

3. On the swim baits do you go paddle tail or fluke/fork style?

Hitit9999

1. Do you use those colors in just about any conditions and depths? I confess I have no real experience fishing "garish" colors like methiolate, bubblegum, morning dawn, etc.

2. How about leader length? I'd expect shallow or during the spawn the leader is best shorter to give the appearance of bottom contact. But as grass grows, that leader probably needs to be more like a foot long.

3. On the swim baits do you go paddle tail or fluke/fork style?
I use those colors in any condition. They all just catch fish. In any condition, any depth. And I'm different than most. I don't use a leader. I use fluro all the time, and just tie it on and go. Just don't leave too much line below your hook. I normally leave 18-24" from the hook to the sinker. And I use the same size sinker, regardless of the depth I'm fishing. 1/4 oz if I want it to fall slower if fish are tough, and 3/8 if I want to just get it down there. And I work it just like a Texas rig all the way back to the boat. I keep a drop shot rig on an open face, year round. And I use paddle tails. Normally is a small keitech swimmer.

TRHC

I posted some good information for you but a pop up said my post had to be approved by a moderator. Now my post has been removed. Not sure what rules I broke?? Good luck with your new technique.

TRHC

Maybe it was because I linked you to a couple baits I like?? I was just trying to show you a couple baits since you are new to it. Any finesse style worm will work, but my go to is a roboworm in Aaron's Morning Dawn color. Someone already mentioned a swimbait can be killer. For that, I like a Megabass Hazedong Shad. It's tiny, but can get big bites. I'm local to Lake Guntersville and everyone here thinks you have to power fish the grass to catch big fish. These fish get accustomed to seeing the same big baits over and over. If I can't get bit that way, the drop shot comes out. When working it, sometimes less is more. Good luck.

TNReb

There's way more to discuss than any one person can type here...

If you haven't already, look at subscribing to Bass University. Lots of good videos out there on tons of different subjects.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Maybe it was because I linked you to a couple baits I like?? I was just trying to show you a couple baits since you are new to it. Any finesse style worm will work, but my go to is a roboworm in Aaron's Morning Dawn color. Someone already mentioned a swimbait can be killer. For that, I like a Megabass Hazedong Shad. It's tiny, but can get big bites. I'm local to Lake Guntersville and everyone here thinks you have to power fish the grass to catch big fish. These fish get accustomed to seeing the same big baits over and over. If I can't get bit that way, the drop shot comes out. When working it, sometimes less is more. Good luck.

That megabass shad looks great! On shad imitators, do you have a particular philosophy on color selection? Or, like with the worms, whatever works? I imagine during forage spawns white/pearl is good.

TRHC

Yes, I usually just grab natural looking colors for the swimbaits. Don't be fooled by the size. I've been told that even though they don't advertise it, some pros will sometimes go all the way down to crappie baits if the bite is extremely tough.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Yes, I usually just grab natural looking colors for the swimbaits. Don't be fooled by the size. I've been told that even though they don't advertise it, some pros will sometimes go all the way down to crappie baits if the bite is extremely tough.

One more thing: when you downsize to the 3" shad imitator lures like the Hazedong, what hook size do you go with?

Right now all I have are #1 in both the VMC Drop Shot (nose-rigging) and VMC Neko (Texas-rigging).

TRHC

I'll use a #2 mostly.

I like to use 10-15 pound braid as my main line and 6-8 pound flouro for my leader. The braid doesn't twist up as bad as running straight flouro. There's lots of knots to tie them together. FG knot is one of the best, but it's a pain to tie on the water. The Alberto knot is one I use a lot too. YouTube can teach you how to tie these.

West_Tn

8lb braid to 6lb fluro using the Alberto knot and have never had a problem. Caught a 20+ lb blue cat the other day on it. Just have your drag set right and it will perform great.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I went with 15lb braid —> 8lb fluoro. Was a bit worried about going any lighter with all the grass we have on the TVA lakes. Hopefully it won't be heavy enough to mess up my action.

Spent a long time the other day struggling with the Alberto knot, until I realized I wasn't running the braid back through the loop when tying. Simply Texas-rigged a Stick-O and saw it cast smoothly and far, even though I can notice when the knot passes through the guides. Doesn't seem to affect cast distance at all.

Latest posts