Food Plots Does it make sense to roundup this late?

tug

Got three small places plowed, hit with disc, rototilled. Thursday going to seed with cereal rye and clovers. Pack it with a cultipacker.

I have had stands burned down with no rain by this time so I don't feel so bad. And it may not rain again till mid november. So, here we go!

tug

The rain forcast changed. Drastically. It was 70 percent chance a week ago, now it is less that 25%.

What to do?

I worked like a demon to get ready for the rain that may not come. So. Seed anyway? Or wait ten or more days to for a real chance at rain?

Clover. Cereal rye. Cereal oats.

BSK

The rain forcast changed. Drastically. It was 70 percent chance a week ago, now it is less that 25%.

What to do?

I worked like a demon to get ready for the rain that may not come. So. Seed anyway? Or wait ten or more days to for a real chance at rain?

Clover. Cereal rye. Cereal oats.
Never plant if you do not have adequate soil moisture.

I may be waiting until early November to reseed my plots, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. No use wasting even more money on seed that will germinate and then die due to inadequate soil moisture.

DoubleRidge

I put seeding on ice. Is what it is.

I'm still sitting on 400lb of cereal rye and plan to buy a few hundred more pounds of winter wheat....but we're waiting on soil moisture.....no doubt the forecast is disappointing....but as you accurately stated....it is what it is......thankfully cereal rye and winter wheat will germinate at low temps and actually grow when temps are above freezing.

BSK

I'm still sitting on 400lb of cereal rye and plan to buy a few hundred more pounds of winter wheat....but we're waiting on soil moisture.....no doubt the forecast is disappointing....but as you accurately stated....it is what it is......thankfully cereal rye and winter wheat will germinate at low temps and actually grow when temps are above freezing.
I was hoping to add some more Buckwheat, but I'm afraid that season will be past by the time we get our first solid rain.

DoubleRidge

I was hoping to add some more Buckwheat, but I'm afraid that season will be past by the time we get our first solid rain.

I agree...the cereal rye and wheat can handle an early morning frost.... buckwheat can't.....and we're within two weeks of our average first frost date now.

Latest posts