Do folks stillhunt anymore?

T. J. Mercer

I almost exclusively still hunt. If I had to put a percentage on it I'd say 90%. Very rarely will I do anything else. It's how I grew up hunting and it's what I feel most comfortable with.
I'd be curious to hear a few more experiences.
1) how often do you "catch 'em napping?"
2) how close do you typically get?
3) what's the closest you've been able to get?
I predominantly bow hunt, and though ol' Fred Bear might stalk a grizzly with a recurve, it just seems nearly impossible to do that with a deer.
*side note, if you've never seen that video, you should. Balls of steel. Ice water in his veins.
You're out east, so ...
4) More topo terrain the better? Or worse?

Thanks!

Snake

When I was hunting larger tracts of property and the conditions where right I would still hunt alot , killed my last buck in Giles still hunting back to my stand . Windy or wet conditions where the times I'd still hunt . Killed a nice ten point in Lincoln Co. once when he bedded after trying to get on him @ about 300 yds but the wind kept me from being steady enough to try a shot so I stalked him jumped him and a doe and shot as he was about to jump the fence .

bwgarrett3

I'd be curious to hear a few more experiences.
1) how often do you "catch 'em napping?"
2) how close do you typically get?
3) what's the closest you've been able to get?
I predominantly bow hunt, and though ol' Fred Bear might stalk a grizzly with a recurve, it just seems nearly impossible to do that with a deer.
*side note, if you've never seen that video, you should. Balls of steel. Ice water in his veins.
You're out east, so ...
4) More topo terrain the better? Or worse?

Thanks!
1. Only a few times that I'm for sure about. Other times I've jumped deer up out of their beds. When this happens they usually only run a few steps and stop to see what "spooked" them...giving an opportunity for a shot.
2. My shots are rarely over 100yds. 75% are in the 60yrd range. I have had some 20-30yd shots tho.
3. The closest I ever got to a deer was a young doe. She came out of a thicket and walked so close to me I literally could have stuck my hand out and touched her. I have not seen that video but I will definitely watch it. There was a time I spotted a big boar in a field and stalked up to 40yds of him before I let an arrow fly...that's a whole different story tho! haha
4. Yes, I definitely use the terrain to my advantage. I hardly ever walk up wide open hollers...yes, you can see further but so can the deer. My second biggest buck was killed by walking up a very small/narrow holler that paralleled a big open holler. I heard him walking out of the wide holler. I turned and got my gun ready as his antlers were coming up over the ridge top. He stepped up 20yds away from me on the ridge. I'm convinced I would have jumped him if I went up the big holler. Terrain can be bad if you do jump/spook one because they can be out of sight in a split second!

Jaahspike

And I don't mean just hunting your way into a stand and hunting your way out. I mean dedicated hunts slipping through the woods, maybe with binoculars in hand, with a favorable wind/conditions, scouring the landscape looking for the telltale twitch of an ear or flick of a tail.

I seem to recall when I was younger, way more folks (at least in my hunting circles) dedicated at least some of their time to stillhunting. I recall one uncle who killed so many old bucks out of their beds it was far more than coincidental or lucky...that man was a stone cold stillhunting killer. Remember the Benoits up in Maine who would track deer in the snow back in the day? Fred Bear and Ishi sneaking up on critters with stickbows?

I don't know...maybe it's slowly dying with the oldtimers as kids are most often taught to sit and wait in a stand or blind. What % of your time is dedicated to slipping along seeking your quarry?
I hunt this way several times every year! Matter of fact I did that the other day and found a new spot and saw an 8 point chasing! I love it. I also have ADD so sitting still in my stand for hours on end is difficult

Boll Weevil

1) Wind in my face is good but crosswinds can be just as good or better depending on terrain and thermals. Windier days when deer might hunker down can also be good.
2) How close? I'm a MS native and lived/hunted in several states where shotguns w/buckshot is legal. I've killed a truckload of deer what were close enough to be stone dead when I squeezed the trigger...less than 30 yards. Closest was maybe 20ft.
3) Easing through planted pines is one of the highest probability scenarios. Pinestraw can make for quiet movement; wet/damp and it's perfectly silent. In a stand of straight/vertical pines the horizontal line of a deer's back/belly/head/ears really stands out. It's dark in a closed canopy pine stand and a deer's grey hide, white ears/belly really stands out.
4) A lot of people stillhunt during the middle part of the day when deer may be moving less/bedded...I prefer when they're moving more. A moving deer is easier to see before he sees you than when he's stationary/bedded.
5) I carry a little stool or folding chair and sit often or lean against a tree for long spells. I can't tell you haw many deer have just walked up on me while I was sitting/standing still.
6) 360 scan often. A deer with no clue you're there is perfectly calm in their movements and can get by you pretty quick if you aren't watching.

I learned from elders that have either passed on or are too old/don't hunt anymore. They were woodsmen, patient, and perfectly tuned in when they slipped along. Their ability to mimic nature in their movement was uncanny.

Last edited:

Ski

For me it depends on the objective. I still-hunt public ground quite a bit because I rarely ever target a specific deer on public. It's exciting that at any moment I can see a deer I've never seen before, and he might be a good one.

On private property where I have some target bucks picked out to hunt, I stay out of those woods as much as possible, and am very careful to not leave any more scent than possible when I am there. Still hunting would be a disaster on the private spots I hunt here in midTN because the privet is so thick I can't move without leaving a blanket of human odor. After a couple hunts the property would be significantly compromised for weeks, if not the rest of the season. And I see more deer from a stand because I'm above them. Otherwise I'm on top of them before I even see them. With the deer numbers, if I sit in a stand for more than 2hrs without deer, something is wrong. Stand hunting is just more effective for that situation, terrain, and objective.

Contrast that with where I grew up in southern Ohio. It's mountainous terrain with steep ridge lines and wide open hardwoods. Deer live in the green briar, laurel, and paw paw thickets on a shelf or head of a hollow. I set stands but rarely hunt one for more than a couple hours. I might hunt 3-4 stands per day, hunting my way between them. Other days I hunt ridges, zigzagging back & forth so I can hunt both sides of the hill at the same time. I look down to the shelves. There's so little undergrowth that I can cover a lot of ground without leaving much scent behind. And a lot of the terrain doesn't get used by deer so they wouldn't catch my ground scent, anyway. It's a completely different set of conditions than where I live in midTN, so I hunt it differently.

Boll Weevil

Agree with you Ski...different areas dictate different tactics. I makes little sense to try and stillhunt a 3 year old clearcut. Kinda the same with really open ag ground with only skinny hedgerows. Definitely gotta pick and choose when and where carefully.

T. J. Mercer

Well I'm inspired.
I'm climbing down to see what's lurking about.
Unfortunately, I'm at the back edge of a small piece of land and don't have permission to hunt the 140 acres to my north, just a dozen or so around me.
Shame, but I've seen nothing yesterday or today, despite having buck after buck after buck walk past on Tuesday.

Latest posts