Dispatch Gun

BigRed1080

What do you all use to dispatch animals? 22? Pellet? BB? Depends? Long rifle or handgun? I am just starting to get my trap tags set up and excited about getting some fur.

Shanman

22 and catch pole.
Get them in the catch pole first, if it's a yote or fox you can move them away from the catch circle before dispatching, then you don't have blood in your remake. If it's a cat, just choke them out with the catch pole but hold them over the set while they expire, this keeps any urine that comes out on the set, really helps attract another cat. If you want to be quiet such as in close to a house early in the morning, use the catch pole to pin the animal down then press the end of the barrel into the ear and dispatch. You'll be surprised how much noise is absorbed doing this.

Pioneer1789

22 and catch pole.
Get them in the catch pole first, if it's a yote or fox you can move them away from the catch circle before dispatching, then you don't have blood in your remake. If it's a cat, just choke them out with the catch pole but hold them over the set while they expire, this keeps any urine that comes out on the set, really helps attract another cat. If you want to be quiet such as in close to a house early in the morning, use the catch pole to pin the animal down then press the end of the barrel into the ear and dispatch. You'll be surprised how much noise is absorbed doing this.
Interesting. Thanks!

Gravey

Catch pole. easy, no blood.
Does that just choke them out? I'm not a trapper but was watching a trapping show the other night and while the guy is resetting the trap the coyote he just removed is laying there and you can see his sides moving and mouth opening for air. I understand it's the animal many hate the most but think we owe it to them to dispatch quickly just like any other animal. Seems to be the humane thing to do.

Safari Hunt

When I started to read outdoor magazines in the mid 50s, the favorite was the Colt Woodsman, .22LR. I recall a situation where a guy was attacked by a bear and killed it with the Colt. Ten shots in the right place. I don't think Colt makes it anymore. Look at the Ruger 22s.

Farm manager

22 and catch pole.
Strangely enough, there is a growing market for skulls. Since fur prices are so low, currently, cutting off heads and throwing them in a freezer can oftentimes net as much or more money than the pelts. If you plan on saving skulls, shoot your catch in the heart/lungs.

squirrel_hunter

I use a cheap revolver with 22 shorts. No cb shorts anymore. I shot a coyote in the head. It dropped bloods was running out. Took it out of the trap carried to edge of the catch circle. Got to resetting set back. Heard something behind me and looked. That coyote was setting up looking at me. It ended up running down the hill getting into a hole. And another time i had a big boar coon caught. I shot him in the head. The cb wouldn't dispatch it. Reloaded with regular shorts no issues then. On coyote if u dont want to shoot then in the head. Dispatch them behind the front leg. U will have some blood but not like the head would. I been carrying a h & r 22 single shot. But having a issue with it. So i went and bought a new herny 22 carbine rifle. I do have a cricket i carry a few times.

Latest posts