Die repair help

mr.big

The newer pins look like this
7AC75240-239F-447E-AC4F-86CB409B152A.jpeg

RodneyO

Alright need some more help. This is getting common with me reloading more than ever. I acquired some 260 Rem Peterson Small Rifle Primer brass. When I went to deprime it, I broke the Decap pin. Turns out the smaller flash hole won't accept the Decap pin I had. The old Decap pin was a fixed pin on a RCBS full length sizer die , just the pin is not removable or replaceable. So I go to RBCS and buy a smaller 6.5mm Decap unit to be able to get the smaller flash hole. When I received it today, the unit itself is a smaller diameter so it won't thread into my sizer die. What the heck do I need to get back up and running and be able to deprime this 260 Rem Small rifle primer brass? Thank you for any help.

Specializedjon

The knurled part does thread off but the pin is fixed to it. Hard to tell in these pics I know but the broken pin doesn't go forward or backward out of the knurled end. The inside of that knurled end is just solid metal with no hole or anything.
Doesn't look fixed. As Omega suggested, should be able to punch it out and drop a new one in. I'm a Dillon guy, don't know much about RCBS. Good luck.

PickettSFHunter

Yep. Headed Decapping pin it is 😂 I got it out after lots of punching it. Back to where I started as far as actually depriming this brass though. RCBS doesn't seem to make a headed decapping pin for the extra small .057 flash holes. May just need to buy something else.

DaveB

After similar decapping experiences I decided perhaps an inexpensive universal decappinig die would be the way to go. So of course, I go to BassPro and buy one. Feeling particularly smart and extra good looking I set it up and start decappiing. 45 minutes into a large batch of 280/30.06/308 brass the pin has worked loose (I dint tighten enough?) and the pin bends. I try to straighten, that is not in my skill set. Back to Basspro, a whole hour of my day shot.

You will find you can use article X with every caliber, or most, or sometimese just one caliber. Over time, I accumulate various pieces and parts until the need to swap in or out no longer is necessary. My time is valuable and this redundant stuff drives me crazy. And if a part is not so expensive I may acquire two or three of them, just in case.

backyardtndeer

Over time, I accumulate various pieces and parts until the need to swap in or out no longer is necessary. My time is valuable and this redundant stuff drives me crazy. And if a part is not so expensive I may acquire two or three of them, just in case.
Do the same, if I have to order something that is less than $10 and is a prone to break or wear part, I will sometimes buy 2. Just makes sense to have a spare.

Reload1

I think if you push the broken pin out the back you will see it has the head on it like in the picture of post #17. It looks like it bent and then broke wedging the broken pin in place. In your picture post #13 looking down into the screwed off piece it looks like you are looking at the back of a headed pin. If you look the back of the pin looks blued while the screwed off piece is in the white. My bag of headed pins are all blued. Bill

PickettSFHunter

You might chuck the pin in a drill and hold some sandpaper on it and turn it down enough to fit
Thank you sir. I got some headed Decapping pins in the mail today. They started at .070. I needed 0.060ish. I put the pin my dremel tool and ran that flat over some sandpaper. It ended at .059 and now punches through those small rifle primer flash holes perfectly. This Peterson 260 rem small rifle primer brass is a pleasure to work with now.

mr.big

Thank you sir. I got some headed Decapping pins in the mail today. They started at .070. I needed 0.060ish. I put the pin my dremel tool and ran that flat over some sandpaper. It ended at .059 and now punches through those small rifle primer flash holes perfectly. This Peterson 260 rem small rifle primer brass is a pleasure to work with now.
Good deal. I ain't got a dremel and used a drill. I bet your way was faster. Lol

mr.big

I use the Palma brass in one my 308s and my 308 dies have the old style pins. I took an .050 Allen wrenc and cut a piece off it and used that as a pin for that brass

Latest posts