New Die, Problem

MUP

That looks normal, the case is being squeezed back into shape, it is going to leave some marks. if you tumble your brass and get them cleaner the lines will be less noticeable.
I think you're right Omega. The brass looks like it could be cleaned up a tad, especially in a pin tumbler. ;) Those rotary SS pin tumblers really do a fine job cleaning cases, although some don't like them that clean, and prefer carbon in the necks still.

Omega

Good to know
I've got other Redding dies that don't leave marks
Thanks for all the replies
Redding dies are top notch, but they may have some residue in there so it would not hurt to give them a cleaning, but I would not do much more than that, if they have something that needs to be smoothed out, I would leave that to them. The pics seem to indicate that the case is not going all the way up into the die, which leave the bottom portion untouched as well as that pattern on the neck.

Tenntrapper

I'm not very familiar with Redding dies, but if like Lee and RCBS, the decapping pin is too low. It's bottoming out on the flash hole and stopping the brass from going all the way into the die.
Hope that made sense.

DaveB

I'm not very familiar with Redding dies, but if like Lee and RCBS, the decapping pin is too low. It's bottoming out on the flash hole and stopping the brass from going all the way into the die.
Hope that made sense.
Makes sense to me......the problem is the marks. Hard to move off the fact the redding dies are leaving marks.

The marks represent friction between die and brass. Assuming the lube is functionally good (even if the brass came from a shot out M-60) the die should never leave a mark such as in the pics. Never. If so, the die is dirty (have seen that with my 243) or the die is defective.

Would not be surprised if the die was not properly finished during the manufacturing process.

I wonder if the marked brass would chamber? With No primer seat a bullet to SAAMI specs and chamber it, watching for bolt close effort. Compare to the other die...Might wanna smoke both bullets before chambering.

Gav-n-Tn

No they did not
Not trying to drag your thread out but that part wouldn't set well with me. I've bought 4 Redding specialty dies in the last 4-6 weeks. I haven't put them to use yet. That's part of why I had an interest in your resolution. Still, I don't think quality issues are an ongoing problem with them. I do know one thing, RCBS customer service is absolutely phenomenal.

Hammer

Not long ago I had a brand new NF scope that I had bought from a dealer new. It was over $2500.
It had a few issues, I had to pay to send it in to NF for warranty work.
That did not sit well with me. But they don't pay return shipping for warranty work.
It pays to look at each company's warranty policy.
Needless to say I'm pretty much a Vortex man now!

DaveB

I lost the SRP part for my RCBS auto primer. Ordered replacement from their site. Did not get the confirmation email but just ignored that, its RCBS after all. However, 9's and 223's are backing up.

But oh oh, no primer holder thing was forthcoming so I used their text system to inquire. Next day, phone call from RCBS customer service. two days later, SRP part in my mailbox.

Free.

two more days later I get my paid for stuff.

RCBS just keeps on earning my business.

Poker

I lost the SRP part for my RCBS auto primer. Ordered replacement from their site. Did not get the confirmation email but just ignored that, its RCBS after all. However, 9's and 223's are backing up.

But oh oh, no primer holder thing was forthcoming so I used their text system to inquire. Next day, phone call from RCBS customer service. two days later, SRP part in my mailbox.

Free.

two more days later I get my paid for stuff.

RCBS just keeps on earning my business.
RCBS doesn't charge for shipping either. Best lifetime guarantee I've ever had on anything. They truly stand behind their products even when they're not required to.

Latest posts