7mm PRC Optimal powder charge help... update... I give up!!!!

megalomaniac

An off center chamber will definitely cause pressure issues as the bullet changes directions trying to find the bore. I've seen it many times over the years. I'm guessing they didn't proof fire the gun, or they should have seen the pressure signs.
Exactly....

But why the heck will it still shoot good???? I would have figured an off cut chamber would shoot like crap. During load workup, the WORST group I got was 1.5 inches, and most groups were under 1in. I'm hoping they will admit what the problem is in addition to fixing it!

rickyk280

Not to go into to great detail, a friend of mine ordered a Impact Precision in 7mm PRC, 24" Carbon Bartlein barrel, Nightforce scope. Here is the best load we found, we tried 3 other powders but H4831sc came out on top, we started at 65.5 wound up at 69.5 grains of H4831sc pushing a 180 Berger VLD, Lapua case's, with no pressure signs, bolt lift is fine, no extractor mark. Chronograph average 3004fps. I don't have but a 300 yard range here behind the shop and rifle shoots extremely well with that load. Like you I believe your groups would be worse and more erratic with an off cut chamber. Hope you get your problem taken care of.

jlanecr500

I threaded a barrel and installed a brake on a rifle several years ago. I was amazed at how much runout the barrel had while holding the breech and muzzle on center. It was a factory sporter barrel and shot well. I had to shoot it afterwards just to see for myself. I was amazed.

As to the off center chamber, you would think the chamber reamer was piloted and should have stayed on center. However, some smith's drill/bore the chamber first and ream with a finish reamer. This method leaves a lot of variables on the table. Saving the cost of a piloted rough chamber reamer just isn't worth the chances of ruining a barrel. Also, as land diameter is variable between barrels, reamer pilots should be changed to a diameter that closely matches the land diameter with the appropriate clearance of course.

megalomaniac

They received the rifle Monday (lag in shipping on my end because of my local FFL)

Already done and being shipped back

Their response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_123710_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_123710_Email.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 24

jlanecr500

Just thinking out loud. If the chamber is off-center, as was suggested, recutting it will make it sloppy because metal was previously removed and not replaced. Redrilling a hole tends to remove more metal and make it deeper if desired. The only way around that would be to weld it up before recutting, which is an absolute nono. The other would be to set the barrel back, rethread it and cut a new chamber. That would only work if the shank were long enough and the barrel would be physically shorter. I'd rather they install a new barrel.