Powder shortage..

Bgoodman30

Just heard from someone in the ammo industry that a powder shortage is coming.. Couple that with an election year and better stock up…

DaveTN

Have you seen any legitimate reasons from any legitimate sources as to why there would be a powder shortage? Of course you haven't. A manufacturer posted that prices would jump a few percent at the beginning of the year, happens every year. All the people claiming to be our "friends" saw an opportunity to make some money, and are "warning" us. They are azzhats that are either retailers or our own members trying to rip us off.

Bass Pro put primers on sale a couple of weeks ago and had them in the store. How long has it been since that happened? It was 2019.

Bgoodman30

Have you seen any legitimate reasons from any legitimate sources as to why there would be a powder shortage? Of course you haven't. A manufacturer posted that prices would jump a few percent at the beginning of the year, happens every year. All the people claiming to be our "friends" saw an opportunity to make some money, and are "warning" us. They are azzhats that are either retailers or our own members trying to rip us off.

Bass Pro put primers on sale a couple of weeks ago and had them in the store. How long has it been since that happened? It was 2019.

Just what I was told by someone in the industry that orders gunpowder to manufacture their ammunition. A quick google search showed several articles that say it's no conspiracy….

Bgoodman30

Yes, the sources are the powder companies themselves. They have already put out the announcements that powder prices will go up significantly, and that will lead to a run on existing powders, and thus a shortage.

My source who is a buyer of raw materials said its due to the supply of one of the components in gun powder that's driving cost up, Nitrate or nitro something like that? I don't reload and not an expert on this...

backyardtndeer

Yes, the sources are the powder companies themselves. They have already put out the announcements that powder prices will go up significantly, and that will lead to a run on existing powders, and thus a shortage.

Yep, have gotten emails from retailers. Think I also got one from hodgdon.

Glad I have a little put back.

DaveTN

From Hodgdon January 12, 2023.....

POWDER UPDATE 2023
QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?
While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

WHY CAN'T HODGDON MAKE MORE POWDER?
We wish it were that simple - what we have experienced since 2020 is a demand issue and not a supply issue. The reality is we are doing everything possible to maximize shipments to our customers, including running overtime in production, packaging and shipping areas and working with our shipping partners to add new inbound and outbound shipping options. During the past 3 years, we broke record after record for powder shipments. We learned what worked best in terms of distribution and will continue to maximize all efforts to maintain this high level of shipping.

WILL HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH FUTURE SPIKES IN DEMAND?
A new powder production facility would require an investment far beyond our finances and no financial institution would finance this type of building project. While the past 3 years of demand appears to be different from demand spikes in the last 20 years, the "normal" powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional manufacturing plant.

WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS?

Our focus is the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to strategic, mostly smaller ammunition manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers who are looking for powder to load in ammunition. Every day, we politely decline this new business so we can focus on our long-term customers and sales channels and most importantly, our costumers who have supported us for decades.

From January 25, 2021....

WHY IS THE PRICE OF POWDER SO HIGH ON THE INTERNET? We do not set sale prices or MSRPs for the price of our powders at retail, nor do we encourage any of our retailers or dealers to sell on auction sites, but we cannot control what happens after we sell to our traditional sales channels

backyardtndeer

POWDER UPDATE 2023
QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.
They were wrong. A lot has happened since January 2023. Add in that we are in an election year, and it makes for anything but getting back to normal.

Lost Lake

POWDER UPDATE 2023

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?
While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

WHY CAN'T HODGDON MAKE MORE POWDER?
We wish it were that simple - what we have experienced since 2020 is a demand issue and not a supply issue. The reality is we are doing everything possible to maximize shipments to our customers, including running overtime in production, packaging and shipping areas and working with our shipping partners to add new inbound and outbound shipping options. During the past 3 years, we broke record after record for powder shipments. We learned what worked best in terms of distribution and will continue to maximize all efforts to maintain this high level of shipping.

WILL HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH FUTURE SPIKES IN DEMAND?
A new powder production facility would require an investment far beyond our finances and no financial institution would finance this type of building project. While the past 3 years of demand appears to be different from demand spikes in the last 20 years, the "normal" powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional manufacturing plant.

WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS?

Our focus is the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to strategic, mostly smaller ammunition manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers who are looking for powder to load in ammunition. Every day, we politely decline this new business so we can focus on our long-term customers and sales channels and most importantly, our costumers who have supported us for decades.

From January 25, 2021....

WHY IS THE PRICE OF POWDER SO HIGH ON THE INTERNET? We do not set sale prices or MSRPs for the price of our powders at retail, nor do we encourage any of our retailers or dealers to sell on auction sites, but we cannot control what happens after we sell to our traditional sales channels

What I read there is this.

"We see this as a golden opportunity for double speak, and we're gonna make as much as we can while we can. Thank god for the excuses of govt contracts and wars, because we know that if a Republican squeaks by and actually wins an election, we won't be making as much on supplies! Get it while it's here! And bend over!"

Last edited:

Lost Lake

Just remember, it's a choice, either buy or not. Capitalism, don't buy and the prices will come down, if you want to wait that long, or buy it and have it and not worry about it anymore while you're loaded and loading. ;) Me, I'm broke but still loading. 😁

I'm just thankful that I'm well stocked. I'd hate to be getting into reloading right now. 😅

backyardtndeer

Just remember, it's a choice, either buy or not. Capitalism, don't buy and the prices will come down, if you want to wait that long, or buy it and have it and not worry about it anymore while you're loaded and loading. ;) Me, I'm broke but still loading. 😁
Just remember all the people in 2020 who were saying wait it out, prices will come down.😉 Wondering how that's worked out for folks.

FredRog72

Just remember all the people in 2020 who were saying wait it out, prices will come down.😉 Wondering how that's worked out for folks.
I remember folks saying, ain't paying $65 a brick for primers! LOL, that ended up being correct since they kept climbing! I'll admit, I jumped into reloading a little later than most but was tenacious at finding decent deals and stocking up fast. I also went into it not to save money on ammo but as a hobby. Being in commercial construction, I watched the steel industry quadruple inside of a few months knowing that anything and everything that contained any steel would follow. That held true but also drug the rest of the manufacturing industry right along with it.

I was semi smart (using that term loosely) and stock piled, but as a hobby if I wanted to reload even starting today, I'd do my research and dive right in knowing I'm not saving money. I do it to make as much of my own quality product and have the freedom to shoot at my leisure because it makes me happy!

Btw, I traded in offshore saltwater fishing for reloading! You think reloading is expensive even today? Jump into offshore saltwater fishing. LOL, that's a different kind of expensive.

mr.big

My source who is a buyer of raw materials said its due to the supply of one of the components in gun powder that's driving cost up, Nitrate or nitro something like that? I don't reload and not an expert on this...
I have a theory that it has something to do with the powder companies seeing what people are wiling to pay the scalpers and they might as well get in on that.

BPhunter

Exactly....spread fear and it will take hold. Bought primers last week very reasonable at Midway. They had a large quantity. However, it is always a good idea to be stocked up!

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
As I recall vaguely from high school history, one of the reasons for TVA was to use electrolysis to help leach nitrates out of chicken poop for use in powder and explosives. Surely there is still plenty of chicken poop.