Didn't know deer eat these

peytoncreekhunter

Interestingly, many species of mammal eat their placenta. It is extremely rich in nutrients. Letting it lay on the ground is a huge waste of resources.

The crazy thing is, that's the new rage with young women giving birth - keeping, drying, grinding up and eating their placenta. Yuck!

I saw the placenta in a tray after my kids were born...... no thanks, I agree with you...YUCK, I'll pass on the eating of it.

RobbyW

Interestingly, many species of mammal eat their placenta. It is extremely rich in nutrients. Letting it lay on the ground is a huge waste of resources.

The crazy thing is, that's the new rage with young women giving birth - keeping, drying, grinding up and eating their placenta. Yuck!
My grandpa who raised cows told me the reason cows ate them was to hide the birth from predators. Any truth you think?

megalomaniac

In case you weren't aware, the medications that are administered during birth in most cases when doing anything other then a "natural" birth are terrible for your body. For example the epidural that 95% of women end up getting during birth, is linked to alot of problems including premature back problems later on in life. So while you entitled to your own observation, mine is that everyone i know of that have gave birth naturally (including my wife) have done so because they would not take the risk of bigger problems down the road, so they could actually hold their baby after it was birthed, and because it is exactly what it is called, "Natural" Its how it is meant to be done and it is how it has been done since the beginning of time. Not to "flaunt" and hop on a trend. I couldn't be more proud of my wife for giving birth naturally not once but twice.
This is completely wrong.

And besides, people experience pain differently (and may even vary between the somatic vs visceral pain in the same person). For some the pain of labor is literally the worst thing they will ever experience. For others, it's nothing.

Great example is my wife. Labor pains (visceral pain) were nothing to her. Baby coming out (somatic pain) was a come to Jesus moment. But she squalled like a baby evening before last when I had to dig a splinter out of her hand. She just cannot handle somatic pain. I'm just the opposite. I've almost passed out from intestinal pain/cramps, but you could slice my hand open and it's no big deal.

The main reason wild mammals eat the placenta and lick the newborn is to reduce the smell of blood to minimize attraction of predators and buzzards.

The main reason people eat the placenta is because they haven't figured out steak is better.

Latest posts