DER

Coach B

I just ordered a 50lb bag from co-op for 50 bucks. I don't need near that much, but to order it from other places was going to run 2.25 per pound plus shipping. I'm going to try and store what I don't need for next year unless I can find someone close to split it with. I know storing it is not the best thing and germination rates will suffer. However, I still think I'll come out ahead because of the tremendous price difference. I can just increase the seeding rate to offset the expected decline in germination rate.

As far as how much to use I am just going by what others on here recommend and plan on using about 5 lbs per acre in a mix with wheat, crimson, and arrowleaf.

BSK

CoachB,

Store the extra seed in an air-tight containers kept in a cool place (like a basement). The seed will last for years like that. You will see some decline in germination rates over time, but that's better than throwing away the extra seed.

TheLBLman

The Co-Op in Humphreys County is one of the best for a variety of bulk wildlife plot seeds.

Montgomery County Co-Op is better than most, but to my surprise, the Henry County Co-Op (TN's #1 or #2 deer-harvest county) seldom has common wildlife seeds I want, such as cheap rape.

RS

WesParrish said:
Coach B said:
WesParrish said:
The Co-Op in Humphreys County is one of the best for a variety of bulk wildlife plot seeds.

You reckon that's because BSK has been bugging them for so long. :D:D
He and Morgan Cain, and probably a few others. ;)

I have had a little something to do with that. When Randy sees me coming, he knows it's about food plot seed or lime and fertilizer for plots. I have had him special order things in the past that he now keeps in stock this time of year. I've tried to convince him to buy a smaller lime buggy that can be rented out for those places that a truck spreader can't reach (a few of my smaller plots are hard to get to). I was told that only me and a few others in the county were hard-core food plotters and he didn't think it would be feasible to buy one.

AlabamaSwamper

tellico4x4 said:
Swamper - try Clemmons & Hamner Seed between Killen & Greenhill (256) 757-9996, much cheaper than CO-OP.

For sure! I just happened to be at the Co-Op yesterday and asked! I was picking up some Redland Max which C&H didn't have.

However, I have bought from C&H:

400lbs wheat
250lbs BF oats
5lbs Durana Clover
5lbs Brassica Mix

So far this year. LOL

Very nice folks and very good prices.

I guess I'll get it from them since I need to make one more trip up there.

BSK

DoubleD said:
BSK said:
The guys at the Humphreys County Coop still think of me as "that Hippie growing weed." :)

They sell that seed there too? :D

It wasn't my seed requests that got them curious, it was the fact I came in one day in flip-flops, cut-off shorts, a tie-dyed tank top, my hair in a ponytail and started asking a lot dumb questions about lime and fertilizer with a California accent!

Howa

I also went to Montgomery County Co-Op and they didn't have ANY rape either. I also went to the seed and feed in Houston County but they said they would not order any seed until AFTER it rains. I explained to them that I would like to have the seed now, so that when it rains I can plant it, not come and order some after it rains. Didn't make sense to me. Where is the Humphreys County Co-op.....I already know it's in Humphreys County...but where?

Trapper John

Just wait till one of you guys goes in and asks for rape when the girl behind the counter is new and has no idea it's a plant.

Happened in August of 2004. The manager still laughs at me when I come in.

Latest posts