DER ?????

MoCamo

What is the protein value of this plant? And do the deer normally just eat the leaves or do they pull the hole plant up and eat the whole thing.

BSK

They normally eat just the leaves, but many varieties of plants in the turnip family will produce a "turnip" that the deer will dig up and eat in winter.

The protein content isn't as important because deer are not after proteins perse in fall and winter. They are after the sugar content for energy needs.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

"As a group, the brassicas are cool-season annuals that are high in protein and highly digestible. Protein content ranges from 15% to 20% in the leaves and from 8% to 15% in the roots. The leaves are over 90% digestible. Well-maintained brassica plots are highly productive and can produce 8 or more tons of forage per acre. This high production makes brassicas suitable for planting on small acreage food plots. "

slabhead

My DER looks like someone took a weedeater to them. Not much left but stalks or steams. There are a few small leaves left, but that's about it.

Coach B

The deer and my family have been eating pretty good on my best plot. DER greens make for a very good salad. Cut up the last few tomatoes, sprinkle on some pumpkin seeds and pine nuts. Ummm good, and pretty healthy too.:)

HOOK

slabhead said:
My DER looks like someone took a weedeater to them. Not much left but stalks or steams. There are a few small leaves left, but that's about it.

Me too slabhead. Plants in my confinement cage look great. I should have trippled the size of my plot this year.

MoCamo

I am starting to see some sign that they are eating it but i was getting little worried on most of our feilds its almost knee deep.and the oats are to cant seem to figure out why they are not hitting my plots yet.I have not found any acorns to speak of.Maybe things are starting to pick up.

156p&y

Mo they should eat more of it after a frost. I've noticed that the deer are eating some of my plots and not others.

Latest posts