DER has taken over

Matt74

I planted a mix of oats, DER, pees and clover. Got a great stand. The DER is over knee tall and choking everything else out. The deer aren't touching the DER. They are just picking the oats around the edge of the plot. I am thining about bushhogging it down to about 8" high to let the other catch up. Do you think this is a good idea? Have any of you had this experience with DER? I have heard the DER needs a frost on it before the deer will eat it. We have had a frost the last 3 or 4 mornings and still not eating it.

A

Anonymous

Where have y'all been able to find DER? I can only find it in mixes and would love to overseed my plots in GA with it alone.

The turn on it like a rat on a cheeto when the time is right. I have had them hit it early some years and then wait. But when they do, be ready it gets ugly in a hurry.

TAS

lostsoul said:
Where have y'all been able to find DER? I can only find it in mixes and would love to overseed my plots in GA with it alone.

The turn on it like a rat on a cheeto when the time is right. I have had them hit it early some years and then wait. But when they do, be ready it gets ugly in a hurry.

Lostsoul,

Check out cooperseeds.com and you will see that have really good prices and one heck of a selection. They ship quick and pretty cheap. I got it from someone on here, deerchaser or BSK I think and I am happy with them.

A

Anonymous

I looked at Cooper's and could not find Drawf Essex Rape, I can find all the other varieties, do they list it as something else?

stirrat

don't even think about cutting that der. deer will devour it. my plots are getting hammered all day long with the der.

TAS

lostsoul said:
I looked at Cooper's and could not find Drawf Essex Rape, I can find all the other varieties, do they list it as something else?

It's under Wildlife seeds, Deer, Idividual Species, and it's listed as RAPE.

deerchaser007

Don't cut the DER!!! Next time ,.. try using alittle less in your mixture. If you mix DER to heavy,. it will do what your talking about in some cases. On heavy grazed plots you can go 5 lbs in a mix,.. but in others keep it at around 2 to 3 lbs in a mix. Anything over 5 lbs a acre of DER with other stuff mixed will cause that!!

Crosshairy

What if you mowed a strip down the middle of it? Would that encourage the deer to wade out into it and eat? Just throwing out ideas.

156p&y

lostsoul said:

I hope so I got about an acre of the stuff about knee high and some areas up to mid thigh. Clover is carpeted underneath it.

Boone 58

Dont Cut the DER!!!!!
When the hard frosts hit it and it starts drooping and turning pale yellow it converts to sugar and they wont leave it until it is eaten down almost overnite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will smell like rotting cabbage but to the deer it will smell like candy !!

Worm

2-Step Enabled
I plant some every year only to disc it under in the spring. I dont reckon a leaf has ever been bitten. Have no idea why they will not eat it. 5 or 6 years in a row now.

dhines

Worm said:
I plant some every year only to disc it under in the spring. I dont reckon a leaf has ever been bitten. Have no idea why they will not eat it. 5 or 6 years in a row now.

That's really odd. We planted it for the first time this year (a little too much of it I thought), and while it took them some time, they are destroying it now.

Worm

2-Step Enabled
I know it. The deer on one farm are strange. They will mow down corn and soybeans but not much else. Rape has already turned and after walking through it. I cannot tell anything has taken a bite. I keep on planting a couple small plots wondering if they will ever eat any.

Semibald

I found DER at ABSEED.COM. Got a 5 lb. bag, planted in Oct., and like this guy, I think it's going to be shading my clover and chicory out soon. That stuff grows! But I'm going to believe these guys who say the deer will nail it later. They haven't touched it yet, but I think they will as winter weather cuts out other food sources.

hambone

They are not touching the rape at my place either. This was my first year planting it. The farm next door planted it for three years without it ever being touched, but Deerchaser is about six miles down the road and they eat his to the ground.

A

Anonymous

I bought DER at Knoxville Seed Co., Rutledge Pike in Knoxville. They have a nice supply of plot seeds. 865-524-2734

Latest posts