who has planted chestnuts?

wlf89

we got three at the end of driveway and bewteen squirrels and deer they dont last long. i have seen the deer eating them several times, so they seem to like them but the squirrel get alot of them even before they are ready i see them toting the spikey hulls and all off.

Rockhound

wlf89 said:
we got three at the end of driveway and bewteen squirrels and deer they dont last long. i have seen the deer eating them several times, so they seem to like them but the squirrel get alot of them even before they are ready i see them toting the spikey hulls and all off.

Dang didn't know yall had any

Jarred525

Yes and deer absolutely love them. I have planted Chinese and will be planting the hybrid variety I purchased from the state of TN this year. I potted them last winter and planting them early next year.

wlf89

Rockhound said:
wlf89 said:

Dang didn't know yall had any
one less now the power company cut one of them down today

Hunt 365

I planted about 100 Chinese chestnuts in February 2013, caged and tubed. The drought got about 50 percent. They don't seem to be very drought tolerant

TNlandowner

Hunt 365 said:
I planted about 100 Chinese chestnuts in February 2013, caged and tubed. The drought got about 50 percent. They don't seem to be very drought tolerant

That's terrible.

I planted 5 potted Chinese Chestnuts that were close to 6' tall, but lost 1 during the drought. The others grew 4 - 5 feet this year. No idea when they'll start producing mast, but I expect to see a few nuts within the next two or three years.

I also started and grew 36 Dunstan Chestnut trees. I planted them early in the spring and the better growing ones are now pushing 6' tall. I hope to see good mast from these trees in 10 years ???

I planted 400 Sawtooth oaks five years ago. They are nearing 18-20' tall. I hope to see acorns next fall.

TNlandowner

BigAl said:
I failed to mention, I lost one due to some idiot backing over it and mowing it down with the tractor/finish mower. They're not very "mower" tolerant either.

The idiot would be me.
LOL, yep, many of us fall into that category... I took out several American Plum seedlings myself.... Dang things become invisible in tall grass...

BigAl

TNlandowner said:
BigAl said:
I failed to mention, I lost one due to some idiot backing over it and mowing it down with the tractor/finish mower. They're not very "mower" tolerant either.

The idiot would be me.
LOL, yep, many of us fall into that category... I took out several American Plum seedlings myself.... Dang things become invisible in tall grass...
Problem was, this was a 6 ft tree surrounded by a tree tube and a tomato cage. Hardly a seedling.

Latest posts