An over reaction maybe?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Along the lines of the "Cover" post,.
Has anyone noticed what seems to be an excess of growth in many plants this year, an over abundance of you will?
On the farms I oversee the growth of cover has exceeded by far an recent year. It's thick and tall like it's been fertilized! Many maple and elm trees have more dense leaves than I ever recall. Maples have a huge helicopter crop, fruit trees are breaking themselves down. Pig nut hickory's have a massive crop. Most oaks have the beginnings of what (if successful) will be a massive acorn crop. A majority of red cedar have set seed. Even my garden has been so productive I feel wasteful! My popcorn has more and larger ears than ever before. Heck even the bull nettle seems abundant and excessively flush.
??

Chapman

We had a real early Spring here. Lots of early growth on everything, then a late frost in March. I believe that frost got a lot of the peach blossoms in Georgia. Now we are in a drought with Heat Advisories every day. Not much growth under these conditions. The rice farmers like it for harvesting, no rain and dry fields to cut. My cow pastures and hay fields are suffering for water.

Ski

Odd you mention it. My wife & I were just talking about how much fruit we've gotten this year. Apples were loaded up, pears are loaded, and we picked more blueberries & blackberries than ever. It's a little curious that deer are also doing weird stuff like eating corn greens when there's an over abundance of what they usually prefer to eat. We might be in for a winter. Nature knows to prepare even if we've forgotten.

BSK

I'm not sure anyone has ever studied it, but I suspect plants are producing an excess of fruit/nuts/seed to make up for the severe drought last year. No fruit, no nuts, almost no growth, even extremely hardy weeds died last year. It would not shock me that Nature has a way of compensating.

DoubleRidge

Along the lines of the "Cover" post,.
Has anyone noticed what seems to be an excess of growth in many plants this year, an over abundance of you will?
On the farms I oversee the growth of cover has exceeded by far an recent year. It's thick and tall like it's been fertilized! Many maple and elm trees have more dense leaves than I ever recall. Maples have a huge helicopter crop, fruit trees are breaking themselves down. Pig nut hickory's have a massive crop. Most oaks have the beginnings of what (if successful) will be a massive acorn crop. A majority of red cedar have set seed. Even my garden has been so productive I feel wasteful! My popcorn has more and larger ears than ever before. Heck even the bull nettle seems abundant and excessively flush.
??
Yes...absolutely....noticed the maple and
hickory trees...and our garden has been as productive as any we've ever had.....also I could cut grass every 4 to 5 days easy....our area has had several inches of nice ground soaking rain in July and August....so much nicer than last years drought.

BSK

Most of the winter forecasts are calling for the continuation of the pressure ridge (and warm air) sticking to the Western U.S. while a trough hangs over the East. TN may be the "battle zone" of the primary storm tracks for the season. That would mean lots of swings in temperature - warmer as storms approach, colder as they pass by. It would also open the door for a snowy winter across KY, TN and northern AL/MS.

wildlifefarmer

There has been a lot of growth! I can usually bushhog in 3rd gear. Yesterday had to hog in 1st and still had to clutch it in some spots. It will be hard hat time this fall in the woods!! I've never seen as many acorns on the trees. Should be a lot of corn for the critters late winter and spring

JCDEERMAN

I'm not sure anyone has ever studied it, but I suspect plants are producing an excess of fruit/nuts/seed to make up for the severe drought last year. No fruit, no nuts, almost no growth, even extremely hardy weeds died last year. It would not shock me that Nature has a way of compensating.
This is what I was thinking

megalomaniac

super el nino so far this year. My plots in TN are growing gangbusters, deer can't even overbrowse the forage soybeans. Timely rains all throughout the summer, and temps are a bit lower than normal. Just perfect growing conditions.

If the weather pattern continues, I'm pulling the trigger early (aug 25th) for planting fall plots this year.

Problem is... where I live in south MS is CRAZY dry. No rain at my house in 3.5 weeks. Combine that with unusually sunny conditions (we usually have afternoon pop up tstorms normally) and right at 100 deg temps for 2 weeks and my lawn is crispy fried.

BSK

super el nino so far this year. My plots in TN are growing gangbusters, deer can't even overbrowse the forage soybeans. Timely rains all throughout the summer, and temps are a bit lower than normal. Just perfect growing conditions.

If the weather pattern continues, I'm pulling the trigger early (aug 25th) for planting fall plots this year.

Problem is... where I live in south MS is CRAZY dry. No rain at my house in 3.5 weeks. Combine that with unusually sunny conditions (we usually have afternoon pop up tstorms normally) and right at 100 deg temps for 2 weeks and my lawn is crispy fried.
I've been meaning to ask you about conditions near home. Sounds like "not good!"

megalomaniac

I've been meaning to ask you about conditions near home. Sounds like "not good!"
Well... some good...

With no rain, salinity in the marsh is way higher than normal (15 to 20ppt, normally 5 to 10 this time of year), and water is cleaner with less muddy runoff from the rivers, so fishing has been good inshore as the trout migrate to at least 15ppt salinity waters to spawn (usually way out to the barrier islands where I can't go in my little boat).

I'm starting to worry I may start losing 25 year old azaleas in my yard if we don't get rain soon.

The last prolonged hot dry spell we had was right after Katrina during Sept (2005). That extreme heat and no rain killed all the ornamental dogwoods in my yard.

Latest posts