Deer stand, does anyone have this one, if so, does it need welds fixed?

Speedwell-Hunter

As title states, looking to buy this guide gear stand, anyone have it? if so, does it need welds to be re-inforced? Its the "Guide Gear 20' 2-Man Ladder Tree Stand"

Stand in this link

Thanks

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Madbowh

I've seen a lot of broke welds on ladder stands and I've started drilling small holes maybe 1/8" hole to let water drain out mine fill up with water and start to rot and bust welds. I think the water getting in it and freezing is the problem.

I've got 2 climbers one is 20 years old and still is my go to stand. Neither so far has broke welds or rust🤞

Savage Knight

If I was going to drop $200 on a ladder stand I would go ahead and and spend a little extra and look at the hawks, muddy or something similar. I have a GG 12' tripod and the seat lasted less than a year and they won't replace it. You can't even buy a replacement, the one I replacement I found I can't get tight enough and you have to sit with your balls drapped across the bolt that hold the seat platform onto the stand. It's a bit unnerving! Sorry for getting off topic but I won't give them another penny!

BigAl

BigAl

Link to the $99 one?

ImThere

I wouldn't weld a new stand. Most are rated by the TMA if that makes you feel better.
Make sure they can drain it water gets in them.
shrink tube the ladder section together, or use an inner tube over connecting joints
drill a small hole in the bottom so they can drain.
Use chains and turnbuckles to mount them to the tree. Loosen the chain after season so it don't grow in to tree

Cannonball1

Look at the Hawk Big Denali from Bass Pro. I bought the single version and it's the most comfortable stand I have used out of around 30 stands over the years. The seats are 26" wide and it lets me hunt longer with my bad back. The welds and overall build quantity are very good.
IMG_0877.png

Speedwell-Hunter

Look at the Hawk Big Denali from Bass Pro. I bought the single version and it's the most comfortable stand I have used out of around 30 stands over the years. The seats are 26" wide and it lets me hunt longer with my bad back. The welds and overall build quantity are very good.
View attachment 186376
I may get this one, thank you sir! Looks like a solid one

redblood

I wouldn't weld a new stand. Most are rated by the TMA if that makes you feel better.
Make sure they can drain it water gets in them.
shrink tube the ladder section together, or use an inner tube over connecting joints
drill a small hole in the bottom so they can drain.
Use chains and turnbuckles to mount them to the tree. Loosen the chain after season so it don't grow in to tree
I agree. Most are plenty strong enough. The issue has always been, the holes not lining up or shorting me necessary bolts which puts me burning gas and time to fix

Madbowh

I may get this one, thank you sir! Looks like a solid one
I bought that and left it on private property. The seat looked nice but you(I) can only sit looking forward comfortably. I got some 1"tubing and welded a flat seat for it and bolted it on. The walmart 2 man has been my favorite, flat seat removable cushion.

While in this same stand I tried to get my daughter to turn maybe between 45-90° to get a shot on a nice 8pt and she couldn't do it I think on account of the seat style.

Latest posts