Deer problem

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Friend o mine has a garden that is being destroyed by deer. First they ate all his corn, then his tomato plants. Now the deer are eating his sweet tater vines to the ground.

Anyone know of a repellant that will work to keep the deer out of his garden?

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
He and I actually discussed that option last night but we really do not want to break the law. I have never broken a wildlife law and do not want to start now.

The deer could all be easily shot from his back yard, but he would prefer non-lethal methods. We do plan to hunt his woods heavily when bow season gets here. :)

TNDeerGuy

I used a nasty mixture of cayenne pepper powder, hot sauce, garlic powder and onion powder�heavy amounts of all of it, and then used about 1/2 gal of water heated everything together on the stove�not boiling though. After letting it cool and sit for a few days to ferment, put it in a spray bottle and mist the plants. You can save the reserves for later usage. You will have to repeat after a heavy rain though. I only had to spray 3 times early this year and since then they go out of their way to walk around the garden. After that overly sensitive nose gets a whiff of that stuff and their tongue feels that burn they have a tendency to not repeating the same behavior. :)

catman529

TNDeerGuy said:
I used a nasty mixture of cayenne pepper powder, hot sauce, garlic powder and onion powder�heavy amounts of all of it, and then used about 1/2 gal of water heated everything together on the stove�not boiling though. After letting it cool and sit for a few days to ferment, put it in a spray bottle and mist the plants. You can save the reserves for later usage. You will have to repeat after a heavy rain though. I only had to spray 3 times early this year and since then they go out of their way to walk around the garden. After that overly sensitive nose gets a whiff of that stuff and their tongue feels that burn they have a tendency to not repeating the same behavior. :)
sounds like a great remedy to me. I would use something including hot peppers if the deer got to my plants. Cayenne worked for a rabbit a couple years ago, so I have a fondness for it. And I grow cayennes too... could make a homegrown remedy.

WTM

catman529 said:
TNDeerGuy said:
sounds like a great remedy to me. I would use something including hot peppers if the deer got to my plants. Cayenne worked for a rabbit a couple years ago, so I have a fondness for it. And I grow cayennes too... could make a homegrown remedy.

other than my wiener dog, i used cheap bottles of cayenne sprinkled heavily on my beans.

Mike Belt

I don't think there's a lasting deterent on the market. If you can run a hot wire it'll work. Make sure you run a couple low wires to keep the smaller critters out and then the upper wires for the deer.

A

Anonymous

GRAMPS said:
Friend o mine has a garden that is being destroyed by deer. First they ate all his corn, then his tomato plants. Now the deer are eating his sweet tater vines to the ground.

Anyone know of a repellant that will work to keep the deer out of his garden?
" TWRA " they will trap and shoot them leave on the ground and willnt let you hunt them next winter if you dont keep this QUIET !!!!!
Sorry I couldnt pass this up,im done.

fishboy1

Run one piece of electric fence wire, hook to charger, and put a flap of tinfoil on it. Smear peanut butter on the foil. Watch deer go into orbit and not return. :D

FIL says it works wonders on keeping deer out of his garden.

catman529

geezer said:
Ive heard of collecting hair from barber shops and putting it around the garden.
I've heard it works but temporarily. the deer get used to the human scent and realize there is no danger. But I can't say for sure, never have tried it.

Latest posts