Deer pattern changes..

Tenntrapper

When we moved here in '12, there was a distinct deer pattern across the farm. Deer don't really stay here, but they travel through with a predictable frequency.
Someone built a house on the hill I had been hunting (the most deer activity). The house is about 500 yards from where I usually hunt...at the end of a long hay field. This hay field is on top of a big hill...I've posted "office" pics from up there.
After the house was built, and especially since the owner moved in, the deer patterns changed. Best I can tell, it moved much of the deer down the hill, and across the road...maybe 8-900 yards away. Also, there are 3 extremely large oak trees in their new travel path. These trees are in the middle of another hay field, and only about 100 yards from a house. For some reason, that house doesn't seem to bother them...the deer congregate around those trees all the time.
I understand it's a food source, but there are other oaks in the area. These must be special..so much so, that the dogs barking/chasing them doesn't seem to deter them from going to it.
Anyway...the owner of those massive oaks just had them cut down...last one hit the ground yesterday. My question is...what is this "likely" to do to the deer pattern?
I realize that question probably can't be answered without seeing the big picture. I'm just asking about likely scenarios.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tenntrapper

This pic was taken from about where I usually hunt. The circled trees are where the pattern moved to...a left to right movement across that field to those trees. Those trees are the ones that were cut down.
IMG_20230624_075636.jpg

Dennis

I have seen many cases where a lone large tree in a cornfield is used by deer like a landmark when navigating across the field. A "sentinel" tree. But I doubt that is the case that with the trees you circled. Deer can see across the hay field and navigate without the aid of a sentinel tree. Those trees are just another food source that happens to be convenient to bedding (hay field).

My guess is you will no longer see deer congregate in that area.

BSK

Answering the question of "how the deer will react" is virtually impossible. It may change their patterns dramatically, or it may not. Figuring out how and why deer what thy do is an effort in futility. All you can do is watch how they react and adjust your hunting accordingly.

Hunting in an area that used to be 90% oak forest, it never ceased to amaze me how dramatically different the movement patterns would be from a good acorn year to a poor acorn year. Then alter the habitat (cut some timber), and both patterns change. Trying to figure out deer movement patterns in an ever-changing habitat situation is what keeps deer hunting interesting for me. Every time I think I've got the patterns figured out, we change the habitat and I have to start learning all over again.

Ski

Believe that deer frequent lone trees in open spaces, just not sure why. When I use to hunt in KS if there was one tree in middle of 100 acre CRP, you could hang a stand there & get a bow shot.

Cover. Deer need edge and cover to feel comfortable. Even the shade line of a lone tree creates visible break up to camouflage them.

Fish are the same way, especially bass. They like edges, especially the transition between light and dark.

tellico4x4

Agree that they like cover or edge. However I've watched several come across 1/4 mile of open ground with the tree in their cross hairs. Never waiver, just come straight to it. Some stop & others just walk on by. Almost like it's a signpost or bearing marker as others have suggested.

Of course it could be curiosity I guess as trees can be scarce out there. Have seen fence posts & power poles rubbed due to lack of trees.

Snake

Once oaks start dropping acorns try and look to see what their pattern is . Most likely it won't change until guns start blasting away then open areas are less likely to be traveled until right at sunset . You'll get it figured out don't fret none 😉

Bone Collector

I know that growth in an area especially human growth is a deterrent to deer activity. I bought my place in 2012 and it sure has changed the deer patterns and the turkeys are all but gone.

the deer still kind of follow the same movement pattern once they get on my land, but the # of mature bucks coming in has dropped significantly as they have put in houses right were they would come from.

I did get some good news in that the guy that owns land behind me is getting rid of a trailer that was housing a bunch of people and dogs (they're gone already) so hopefully that will help some.

Ski

I know that growth in an area especially human growth is a deterrent to deer activity. I bought my place in 2012 and it sure has changed the deer patterns and the turkeys are all but gone.

the deer still kind of follow the same movement pattern once they get on my land, but the # of mature bucks coming in has dropped significantly as they have put in houses right were they would come from.

I did get some good news in that the guy that owns land behind me is getting rid of a trailer that was housing a bunch of people and dogs (they're gone already) so hopefully that will help some.

Neighbors are a much bigger factor in making or breaking a deer hunting property than folks often consider. For survival deer need food, water, and safety from predation. If they have to choose between food and safety, they'll starve. In habitat management I'd argue that providing unpressured ground is even more beneficial than providing a bunch of food. Crappy neighbor situations can make that very, very difficult to achieve. Free range dogs and people who don't adhere to trespassing laws are cancer of habitat management.

BSK

For survival deer need food, water, and safety from predation. If they have to choose between food and safety, they'll starve. In habitat management I'd argue that providing unpressured ground is even more beneficial than providing a bunch of food.
In the habitat management world, Cover is KING!

Bone Collector

Neighbors are a much bigger factor in making or breaking a deer hunting property than folks often consider. For survival deer need food, water, and safety from predation. If they have to choose between food and safety, they'll starve. In habitat management I'd argue that providing unpressured ground is even more beneficial than providing a bunch of food. Crappy neighbor situations can make that very, very difficult to achieve. Free range dogs and people who don't adhere to trespassing laws are cancer of habitat management.
my new issue 😤. I get rid of the people letting their dogs run but the neighbor to my right who has owned the property for years and was hardly there, started building a pole barn/house 2 years ago. Now I believe 4 of his workers (from Mexico most likely) are living in the house. About a week ago started getting pictures of them trespassing. I don't think they realize that my cell cams are cameras and they are walking wherever they want and hunting in June. I told the GW but he hasn't been able to catch them. He said, if he does he expects that they will stop for a while but pick it back up once they figure things cool down. He said, it is a common problem with the growing Hispanic community and that they are not used to any regulations on game, fish or land. They see woods, they go hunt. They see water, they go fish.

Ski

my new issue 😤. I get rid of the people letting their dogs run but the neighbor to my right who has owned the property for years and was hardly there, started building a pole barn/house 2 years ago. Now I believe 4 of his workers (from Mexico most likely) are living in the house. About a week ago started getting pictures of them trespassing. I don't think they realize that my cell cams are cameras and they are walking wherever they want and hunting in June. I told the GW but he hasn't been able to catch them. He said, if he does he expects that they will stop for a while but pick it back up once they figure things cool down. He said, it is a common problem with the growing Hispanic community and that they are not used to any regulations on game, fish or land. They see woods, they go hunt. They see water, they go fish.

That is a problem indeed. Hammer them as hard as the law will allow. They'll quit when it costs them every time they do it.

Bone Collector

That is a problem indeed. Hammer them as hard as the law will allow. They'll quit when it costs them every time they do it.
I've notified the GW, but there are only like 2 for all of Rutherford Co. and one is out on paternity leave as his wife just had a baby, so they are stretched thin. I told him to prosecute if he catches them.

I do know where the actual owner lives so when I get back from going to see my MIL I might drive over and knock on his door. Pretty sure these guys work for him and are in construction. They only show up early on rainy days. Otherwise they don't get out until 8 pm or so. I don't live on the land and it takes about 20-25 minutes to get there.

***edited to add*** sorry to hijack 😔

Ski

I've notified the GW, but there are only like 2 for all of Rutherford Co. and one is out on paternity leave as his wife just had a baby, so they are stretched thin. I told him to prosecute if he catches them.

I do know where the actual owner lives so when I get back from going to see my MIL I might drive over and knock on his door. Pretty sure these guys work for him and are in construction. They only show up early on rainy days. Otherwise they don't get out until 8 pm or so. I don't live on the land and it takes about 20-25 minutes to get there.

***edited to add*** sorry to hijack 😔

Man that sucks. I wouldn't only be working with GW. I'd be informing the sheriff of trespassers, and would be giving them the pics of the perps. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I know it sucks to be an annoying, nagging citizen but I'd be that guy if it meant preserving my hunting land. You paid good hard earned money for it so that you could enjoy it as you see fit. It's not public ground. Trespass laws exist to protect the landowners' interests. If they aren't enforced then they're worthless.

backyardtndeer

I suspect they will alter their pattern some with those trees gone. Like ski posted, deer like edges, they will shift some. With looking at your pic, there are other trees near the bottom of the hill, and some off to the right side. Maybe some of those are oaks, I can't tell in the pic?

Tenntrapper

Update... @BSK ,
The pattern seems to have changed, for now.
The deer used to travel a field several hundred yards behind our house (till the new house was built). Then, they moved across the road to where those oaks are/were. Since they were cut down, the deer are moving through our yard...front and back. Every morning, there are deer either in front yard or back yard.
This is definitely going to change how I hunt around here.

BSK

Update... @BSK ,
The pattern seems to have changed, for now.
The deer used to travel a field several hundred yards behind our house (till the new house was built). Then, they moved across the road to where those oaks are/were. Since they were cut down, the deer are moving through our yard...front and back. Every morning, there are deer either in front yard or back yard.
This is definitely going to change how I hunt around here.
It has been my experience that every time you change the habitat, you change the deer patterns. They still want to go from Point A to Point B, but they find new ways to do so.

killingtime 41

That really sucks man.Talked to a police officer for my county the other day while getting hair cut. He said all the crimes he is called out for are all out of state people. All the cars he pulls over with drugs are from people that have moved here from out of state. I wish they'd all pack their yugo and leave and take the Mexicans drugs with them. If you think all the influx of people are some how a benefit to us. Just remember we were happy long before you got here. Houses and land much cheaper. And traffic was a breeze to get through. That isn't a blanket statement for all. So don't take it personal.

Latest posts