Deer patterns

C1295

I have a very strange question and will probably catch crap for it. So where I have been hunting this year TVA land. (I am dumb when it comes to public land.) There is never anyone else there keep this in mind. I have seen Multiple deer... issue is I cant get in range of them. I play the wind I use sent control products... and its not really that I have been busted I am just struggling on getting on them. I move my spots never sit in the same spots. I have seen deer every time I have been. What advice can you all give me I am dying to seal the deal one its been too long. I guess its just my luck lol kind of sucks because if there was a lot of pressure I could kind of go off that. I have found the food sources and the white Oaks and and found acorns but the just don't seem to be near the food sources. I guess Its just a game I am going to have to learn.

Last edited:

philsanchez76

I know the feeling man. Have had seasons where they're all just out of bow range every time. are you talking about shooting a big buck? Or are you just speaking of getting some does for the freezer? When you see deer are they spooking and running before you can get a shot? Or are they relaxed and just happen to be too far away for a shot? Are you hunting from the ground or getting in a tree? As for wind, yikes early season winds here are swirly most of the time. I usually try to set up for a cross wind rather than wind straight in my face. That way deer feel like they're getting a decent wind as they come in if that makes sense. I also carry milk week and drop it throughout the hunt just to check what the wind is actually doing. never trust a forecast!

C1295

I know the feeling man. Have had seasons where they're all just out of bow range every time. are you talking about shooting a big buck? Or are you just speaking of getting some does for the freezer? When you see deer are they spooking and running before you can get a shot? Or are they relaxed and just happen to be too far away for a shot? Are you hunting from the ground or getting in a tree? As for wind, yikes early season winds here are swirly most of the time. I usually try to set up for a cross wind rather than wind straight in my face. That way deer feel like they're getting a decent wind as they come in if that makes sense. I also carry milk week and drop it throughout the hunt just to check what the wind is actually doing. never trust a forecast!
Just trying to fill the freezer I am not a big antler chaser... Don't get me wrong I would love a shot on a big buck but I would be happy with anything. I hunt from the ground started this season using a blind but now I have been just sitting up in brush and under trees Hoping I could possibly sneak easier to get a shot. They are all relaxed just strolling around out range They all have been probably 80-100 yards out... May just have to wait for muzzleloader to seal a deal on one. Gonna try again in the morning and see what I can come up with.

C1295

Have yet to spook one that I have noticed. They just seem to be constantly moving.

philsanchez76

Thats good they're relaxed and not spooking. That means youre doing most everything right. Are you hunting mornings or evenings mostly? During bow season, it can be hard to hunt mornings because they deer are coming back to a larger bedding area and can take dozens of different trails to get there. hard to predict. I mostly hunt evenings and find the food source they're on. usually acorns. find a tree with a lot of poop under it. then set up and you have something drawing them to a specific spot. this is important for bow hunting. once muzzleloader opens you can get away with hunting more open areas of travel cuz your range is 100-200 yards all of a sudden. this is when I start hunting mornings a lot more.

C1295

Thats good they're relaxed and not spooking. That means youre doing most everything right. Are you hunting mornings or evenings mostly? During bow season, it can be hard to hunt mornings because they deer are coming back to a larger bedding area and can take dozens of different trails to get there. hard to predict. I mostly hunt evenings and find the food source they're on. usually acorns. find a tree with a lot of poop under it. then set up and you have something drawing them to a specific spot. this is important for bow hunting. once muzzleloader opens you can get away with hunting more open areas of travel cuz your range is 100-200 yards all of a sudden. this is when I start hunting mornings a lot more.
Have been doing both Mornings and Evenings.

30-06 type of guy

Do they have a spot they seem to favor whether it's coming out or eventually going to? If so move closer and be there an hour before light. If your scared of your scent buy you a stick of ever calm. Lil bit on your boot then just leave it open at the base of the tree.

philsanchez76

Do they have a spot they seem to favor whether it's coming out or eventually going to? If so move closer and be there an hour before light. If your scared of your scent buy you a stick of ever calm. Lil bit on your boot then just leave it open at the base of the tree.
ive always wanted to try ever calm. you've had pretty good results?

30-06 type of guy

ive always wanted to try ever calm. you've had pretty good results?
If I have a stick it goes with me every hunt. I keep tarsal glands just for back up. If they are in the area and get a whiff they will be there eventually. I bought a stick of code blues version of ever calm and it's going back to the store. Nowhere close to evercalm. I'll see if I can get video to come thru. I have seen some ppl say they have negative results tho. Idk if it's them or the scent but it works for me.

Last edited:

FLTENNHUNTER1

Half of hunting deer is being in the right spot at the right time; meaning LUCK.

Spend as many hours in the woods as possible. Sooner or later you will get lucky.

Knowing their patterns helps, but you still have to be there at the right time. If acorns are everywhere like they are in SE TN they don't have to go far to eat.

C1295

If I have a stick it goes with me every hunt. I keep tarsal glands just for back up. If they are in the area and get a whiff they will be there eventually. I bought a stick of code blues version of ever calm and it's going back to the store. Nowhere close to evercalm. I'll see if I can get video to come thru. I have seen some ppl say they have negative results tho. Idk if it's them or the scent but it works for me.
Ima have to try some.

C1295

Half of hunting deer is being in the right spot at the right time; meaning LUCK.

Spend as many hours in the woods as possible. Sooner or later you will get lucky.

Knowing their patterns helps, but you still have to be there at the right time. If acorns are everywhere like they are in SE TN they don't have to go far to eat.
Iv always not had the best luck. 🤣 🤣

FLTENNHUNTER1

…..annnnnnmnd, you have to be looking in the right direction! This is really important, don't stare in the same spot. Head on a swivel SLOWLY. Especially on the ground. Elevated hunting is more forgiving for body movement!!

megalomaniac

Back when I bowhunted, i think I averaged 1 shot for about 12 or 13 sits. I only saw a deer about 1 out of 3 sits. So if you are seeing deer and not spooking them, it's just a matter of time before you get one in range. Don't give up... you may have to sit 20 times, then kill 2 in 4 hunts. Just a law of averages if there are deer there and you are on a food source.

mike243

If it was me I would lay the bow down let the area cool off for 2 weeks step in Nov 4th and killem. if they are any mature bucks in the bunch you will end up blowing them out of there unless there's some really hot doe's, that's the only thing that might distract them and lead them past you, good luck.

Latest posts