Food Plots Deer eating soybeans in winter?

hunter7272

First year planting soybeans and they are doing very well I should have lots of pods for the deer to eat this winter. I know up north the deer will devour the soybean pods when it gets cold. Will deer in TN do the same? I'm in SE TN

cbhunter

I gotta ask what these arrows are for on this post? Up to "upvote" down to "downvote"?? Only post I've seen it on so far

Attachments

• 7D612F90-658D-45F2-B339-B21B8F7BFC19.png
    7D612F90-658D-45F2-B339-B21B8F7BFC19.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 37

rem270

I planted beans for 3 years because I got the seeds for free. Always planted end of July so they'd be coming up for bow season (first weekend in Sept) and the deer would almost devour them before season opened. Great food plot but they just didn't last long for me.

backyardtndeer

I planted beans for 3 years because I got the seeds for free. Always planted end of July so they'd be coming up for bow season (first weekend in Sept) and the deer would almost devour them before season opened. Great food plot but they just didn't last long for me.
Type of seed matters. A forage type bean will handle browsing pressure much better than other types. We had great results with the gly resistant beans rural king used to sell, the 4.7 maturity. Last year they could not get the 4.7 but had other maturity beans. I tried them and they were for the most part ate too the ground.

Did not get to plant beans this year. Will likely give coop beans a try it bite the bullet and get eagle.

BSK

For those who don't mind the cost, I often recommend mixing soybeans into fall plantings. The beans will be killed by the first freeze, but they are put in the mix as a "candy plant" to draw deer to the plots and to take browse pressure off the winter plants. Personally, I use buckwheat to do the same thing, but if soybeans can be had cheaply enough...