Deer Dog

gatodoc

My lab picked it up pretty quickly...all dogs have an equal ability to smell....hounds have an instinct to track...

Based on the way our beagles used to trail deer years ago when we were rabbit hunting, I'd say a beagle would be easy to train...

The armed services use mostly labs for bomb sniffers...

Training the dog is the key..

JChunts

Call it crazy but dachshunds work well. I've got 2 labs and 2 dachshunds. The little dogs are better ( a lot cheaper to feed too). I actually live in Al and hunt Tn. But a guy down here has a deer tracking dog business and that is what he uses. My Grandpa also has a Jack Russell that has found enough to fill up an 18 wheeler bed. Most all dogs have a good nose though.

AllOutdoors

A friend uses a basset hound. He works slow which is good since they have to be on a lead. A hyper dog will keep you tangled up and out of breath. A big dog will just drag you if he really wants the deer. I guess any dog can work.....just your preference.

7wsm

JChunts said:
Call it crazy but dachshunds work well. I've got 2 labs and 2 dachshunds. The little dogs are better ( a lot cheaper to feed too). I actually live in Al and hunt Tn. But a guy down here has a deer tracking dog business and that is what he uses. My Grandpa also has a Jack Russell that has found enough to fill up an 18 wheeler bed. Most all dogs have a good nose though.
x2

BHC

Yea it's just finding one with the drive. Dashunds are really popular. And hunting breed will do it tho. My lab about pulls my arm outa socket, but I never scold her for it because I don't wanna ever make it not fun, she's been doing well tho.. Beagles, jack Russell, dashunds, any dog in the hound family... But smaller dogs are more handable on a leash..

tellico4x4

Asking which dog is like asking about Fords vs Chevy's.....IMO Minature Schnauzer's get my vote. They were originally bred to hunt varmits and have enough terrier in them to have grit. Dachshunds also come from this same origin of breeding, although I have never seen one in action on tracking a deer. I have used blue lacy's, labs, dobermans, bird dogs & beagles, and none of the ones that I have owned even come close to the intellegence level of the Schnauzer. For tracking a shot deer, I don't want a dog that wants to hunt or run it, I simply want him to "find" it and be managable in the process.

Did know a guy over around Scottsboro, AL that had a Cocker Spaniel that was a great tracking dog too.

Zeke & Big Ugly by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

Jack - Crooked Brow by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

PC130011 by Bullet Hunting Club, on Flickr

DaveB

having hunted over beagles i gotta vote that way. Hunted over Labs (geese) and German shorthairs (pheasant) also but the beagle was at least as good with finding dead things as the others and made a whole lot less fuss about it.

FYI, Beagles are being used as bomb sniffers in lots of airports. Considering the crush of humanity and noise i was amazed to see the beagle just kind of strolling around doing his thing.

RobbyW

I have started training my two dachshund pups. They are about 9 months old and doing pretty good. What I am doing is training them to track deer blood not deer themselves. I took a little blood from a kill and froze it. Then I take a little and put it in a plastic milk jug with water. Poke a little hole in the jug to make a "drip" then make a trail. At the end of the trail I put a treat. Wear your rubber boots and spray them with scent blocker so they are trailing the deer and not you.

hitek7

Best I have ever seen was a catahoula leopard dog, kinda on the ugly side though. I was told this dog did not track by blood but tracked by a gland the deer had that gave off a scent when wounded. This dog would track down a deer and hemn it up so you could finish it off with a shot. He was amzing to watch!

Poleaxe

Start keeping the liver from the deer you kill. Cut into pieces and dehydrate and give it to them as treats. Let them occasionally play with the hide when you skin one. Never tell them no when you bring one home andtheir licking the blood off it. Those recipes there will tu rn any household dog into a deer machine.

Latest posts