Deer corn grocery

JN

I have thought the same thing but I know two people who do not hunt but buy and throw out corn during deer season. I have also bought it during season for my grandparents because they like to watch the deer and felt like I was being judged as a bait hunter while buying it. We also leave close enough to NC that some people from NC come into TN to buy it at the Walmart since that is the closest place for them to buy.

To me it doesn't matter if you hunt over it or not and I don't think any less of someone that does but you should respect the hunting laws of the state you are in and if you want to hunt over corn go to a state that allows it.

redblood

Depends on where you live!

My daughter killed a nice buck on a cut corn field this weekend. That field was candy to the 8 bucks we saw come out on it after the sun set. Rutting and cold nights makes bucks hungry.

KY hunters don't seem to think twice about baiting. Same for NC and increasingly GA. It is literally the poor man's food plot.

The deer disappear so much off my cameras during rifle that it makes me wonder if the landowners around us are not doing the same.

Honestly, I'm too cheap to bait or plant and I don't have an easy way to pack it or plant it. Hunting costs me too much already.
Its legal in KY. And i wouldnt call it a poormans plot- have you seen the price lol?

redblood

I saw deer corn at the grocery store today.I mean dang,it makes me wonder how many people actually dont abide by the law.Does anyone know what the penalty is for using corn during season? This is a question out of curiosity,I have no reason to use it unless Im taking pictures.
First off, there is no such thing as deer corn. Its just hybrid field corn with a deer on the bag. Also, it isnt illegal to sale corn, nor feed corn to deer. Its only illegal to hunt over it. So should we have the power to tell a privately owned grocery store, feed store, hardware store or department store that they cant sale a legal product because of the chance that someone will misuse it? Wouldnt that same precedent shutter the doors on every liquor store, tobacco outlet or gun shop in the state. For the record, I am against baiting and i am for following game laws. But just because people buy corn, doesnt mean they are baiting. Lets focus on punishing the law breakers rather restricting businesses selling a legal agricultural product because it has a deer on the bag.

backyardtndeer

Also, it isnt illegal to sale corn, nor feed corn to deer. Its only illegal to hunt over it.
Counties that have cwd, it is no longer legal to feed deer corn. Stores sell corn, I see people buy it that live and hunt inside the county. Not the stores fault people have no regard for the law.

I am curious too about what the penalties are in cwd counties.

Walker817

My Mom and Dad buy deer corn all year long. They put it out in their back yard and just sit on their deck and watch the deer. They have no desire to hunt them and I have never asked to hunt them. So not every person buying deer corn use it for a quick kill. I have even got used to the text messages from them with a pic of a nice deer that u can't hunt.

Btw, they do not live in a cwd zone.

BigAl

Actually, I think even in the CWD zone you can put corn out. I think it reads it has to be within a certain distance of the residence and not accessible to deer. But if its not accessible, what would you be trying to feed?

Winchester

First off I dont hunt bait, even in the states I hunt where its legal, that said, its legal in about half the states and to my knowledge it has little to no affect on the deer herd or hunters overall success. We just by chance live in a state where it hasnt been legalized yet but I promise its coming.

mossyoakmantn

I've not seen near the deer or bucks that I have in the past. I'm wondering if the neighboring folks are using corn. I got my drone out and charged everything and with the leaves gone it will be easy to see bait piles. The neighboring farm is owned by some rich folks and they bought up well over 300-400 acres. They plant crops and food plots. Good for them if they are not baiting but if they are that's some BS.

AT Hiker

From about October 1st through Christmas I will put out corn behind my deck at Rock Island. The entire development has a "no hunting" rule in the covenants so these deer aren't hunted. I certainly enjoy sitting on my deck and watching them and have absolutely zero desire to shoot one. Even the 10 pointer that was hanging around this year. I will throw out 2 large 32 ounce cups of corn a day when I'm there which is 3-4 days a week.

Now last week I had to go buy a new bag of corn from the TSC in McMinnville and when I opened the back of my Jeep to throw the corn in I had to throw it on top of my Summit Viper stand. Good ol' boy walking buy just looked at me and winked. Lol......I didn't even bother to explain. I reckon the point is that what sometimes seems obvious really isn't. Part of my reasoning for feeding the deer other than my pure joy of just watching them is that I know there are outlaws that will skirt the edges and sneak in to take a semi tame buck. I also know of one resident that killed a big one a few years ago in his back yard. My thoughts are that if I keep the does around during the rut then I will also keep some of the bucks around which where I live is in the very back of the development at the end of a dead end road. If the bucks make it through the rut then they will most likely make it to next year.
That's exactly what I would say too if a fellow hunter caught me in the act ;)

RobDooley

To answer your question. I think it is subjective to the offense, the offender, and the judge. Could be a fine, loss of hunting privileges, or both. I think a lot of people put it out. Now for our annual baiting debate 😈

This question comes up every year. I have said it before, but will say it again. Every year Academy, Walmart, and store that sells sporting goods, gets pallets of corn. It starts to trickle out when bow opens, but DISAPPEARS when ML opens. It stays in low supply all the way through gun. So a lot of people are using it. I have had non hunting friends from Giles county tell me that their hunting friends have told them, that you will not see deer if you don't put out corn... In GILES CO!?!?!🤦‍♂️

IMO this will become another issue like marijuana. All our lives we were taught it was bad, but now the younger generations feel it is just fine to use it. Eventually it will become legal to some extent.

I have also said, this before, but will also say it again. From my perspective, I see no difference in a guy planting a 1-2 acre green field up against a thicket and sitting in a shooting house waiting on deer to come out to feed. Sure he worked harder, but the intent is the same. Create food source that wasn't there, shoot deer when they come to it. I do this too. You cannot convince me that there is a difference. The aflatoxin argument is moot on deer (low probability), although it may wipe out your turkeys (I care about that, but some don't).

The only difference is we were taught that pouring out corn is cheating and illegal and that planting is just good land management. They are the same IMO.
I agree wholeheartedly. My half acre or so food plot is full of deer feces, turkey and others too. They hammer it every year. I put some corn out early to mid September around farm to see what might be in the area. They have hardly touched it. Very few pictures. Too many acorns. If the TWRA was smart they would allow baiting on private lands and charge a seasonal fee. I'm too dang old to tote many bags of corn.

Latest posts